The Student Room Group

Religious studies vs English language A level

I'm currently taking English language A level but I do not find it particularly interesting. I'm taking Maths, further maths and physics so I wanted to do something different as a fourth. I am not sure whether I should switch to religious studies, advice from people who have taken either or both (RS and lang) would be much appreciated! Will English language get more interesting over time?
Original post by shiny467
I'm currently taking English language A level but I do not find it particularly interesting. I'm taking Maths, further maths and physics so I wanted to do something different as a fourth. I am not sure whether I should switch to religious studies, advice from people who have taken either or both (RS and lang) would be much appreciated! Will English language get more interesting over time?

I do RS and I love it. I do OCR so can only speak for that specific course but I find that there is a lot of opportunity to debate and express my opinion, which I enjoy a lot. I absolutely hated English at GCSE so I was never going to do it at A-level, so I can't really help with you that. If you have any questions, please ask me :smile:
Reply 2

hi, I currently do English language (aqa)
it will vary from school to school which order you do, but mine did it in order of the papers. this means doing some annotating of extracts, then child language acquisition (how kids learn to read, write and speak), which I’ve loved. paper two has power and occupation (language of careers, politics etc aswell as accents, dialects etc) and world English / history of English, plus extracts, then creative writing (non-fiction). the coursework is also quite nice as it’s really open with what you want to do research on, almost like an EPQ, as long as it relates to language you’re alright
Reply 3
Original post by charves14
hi, I currently do English language (aqa)
it will vary from school to school which order you do, but mine did it in order of the papers. this means doing some annotating of extracts, then child language acquisition (how kids learn to read, write and speak), which I’ve loved. paper two has power and occupation (language of careers, politics etc aswell as accents, dialects etc) and world English / history of English, plus extracts, then creative writing (non-fiction). the coursework is also quite nice as it’s really open with what you want to do research on, almost like an EPQ, as long as it relates to language you’re alright

Did you find the course interesting from the beginning? We've started with language and gender and the key terms you need to know for spoken language which I do not think is the most interesting part, but the child language acquisition does seem really interesting.
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I do RS and I love it. I do OCR so can only speak for that specific course but I find that there is a lot of opportunity to debate and express my opinion, which I enjoy a lot. I absolutely hated English at GCSE so I was never going to do it at A-level, so I can't really help with you that. If you have any questions, please ask me :smile:

Are the exams difficult? I had a look at the exam papers and all the questions are long essays, is this challenging or not really?
Are the exams difficult? I had a look at the exam papers and all the questions are long essays, is this challenging or not really?

You really get to focus on exam technique, because you only have to learn to answer one kind of question. I didn't find it too difficult to learn how to answer them. I know that may not be for everyone though, I realise but it wasn't ever a problem for me.
Reply 6
Did you find the course interesting from the beginning? We've started with language and gender and the key terms you need to know for spoken language which I do not think is the most interesting part, but the child language acquisition does seem really interesting.

I think it does depend what things you’re learning, the theory is absolutely awful to learn but once you know it and get to the discussions it is really interesting to do. We’ve also just started language change which is so interesting (it’s all how it develops over time and why it changed). It might be helpful to look at an exam paper so you can see if that interests you, it’s such a personal thing. But from my experience it’s my favourite (and best performing) subject

Quick Reply

Latest