ladder question (forces)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
bexxr
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently looking at ladder questions.

- Uniform beam, with mass m and length 2a, in equilibrium on rough ground and against a smooth wall.
- Horizontal force of magnitude kmg (k is a constant) is applied to the beam at A. This forces acts in a direction that is perpendicular to the wall and towards the wall.

I can model the first bit, however I'm not sure if I am modelling the second part correctly as I am getting a negative number for k.

Here's my drawing. Can someone please tell me if I have the additional force (kmg) drawn in the correct direction, and if not, can someone explain why please?

Thanks!
Attached files
Last edited by bexxr; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Can you upload a pic of the original question and what you tried?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Could you upload the first part of the question?
It could be that mu*R is in the opposing direction and kmg is much larger, so friction is acting in the same direction as N? It would be an unusual scenario.
bexxr
Rep:
mqb2766
Here's the first part of the question and my workings:
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As its in equilibrium in part a) and you apply a force of kmg towards the wall, the limiting equilibrium means the ladder is about to slip UP the wall. So friction must be acting in the opposite direction (away from the wall), as suggested in the previous post.
bexxr
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
As its in equilibrium in part a) and you apply a force of kmg towards the wall, the limiting equilibrium means the ladder is about to slip UP the wall. So friction is acting in the opposite direction (away from the wall), as suggested in the previous post.
Oh, of course! I can't believe I didn't realise this (I feel a bit stupid now, haha!). Thank you so much for your help.
bexxr
Rep:
mqb2766
Here's my revised workings. Would this be correct?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Looks good.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads