The Student Room Group

Does further maths help with maths entrance exams?

I am currently in year 12 and would like to study engineering at a top university. I am taking maths, physics and chemistry. I didn't choose further maths, even though I considered it, in the end I felt like I wouldn't do well in it.
However, my maths teacher gave me the option to do an AS in further maths incase I need it to get into universities and the only one that I'm aware of that came close to "needing further maths as a subject requirement" was Imperial college where it was strongly recommended. Imperial has also recently introduced new entrance exams for STEM subjects so I would need to take one. I would like to know if taking Further Maths would help with doing well in the entrance exams in terms of improving mathematical thinking skills and understanding?
thanks
U won’t have tests based on further maths a level content for any engineering entrance exam, just on as level maths and physics but having further maths will make it more likely to get an offer in terms of ur application
Original post by Ashleyrosen1
U won’t have tests based on further maths a level content for any engineering entrance exam, just on as level maths and physics but having further maths will make it more likely to get an offer in terms of ur application

One slight caveat to this is that some Cambridge colleges have been known to ask for STEP for Engineering, which does rely on Further Maths
Reply 3
Original post by Ashleyrosen1
okay, that's helpful.
do you mean that having further maths would make me stand out from other applicants?
Reply 4
Original post by melancollege
One slight caveat to this is that some Cambridge colleges have been known to ask for STEP for Engineering, which does rely on Further Maths
okay thanks a lot
Original post by m_user1070
okay, that's helpful.
do you mean that having further maths would make me stand out from other applicants?

Having Further Maths is generally very beneficial for Engineering
Reply 6
Original post by m_user1070
I am currently in year 12 and would like to study engineering at a top university. I am taking maths, physics and chemistry. I didn't choose further maths, even though I considered it, in the end I felt like I wouldn't do well in it.
However, my maths teacher gave me the option to do an AS in further maths incase I need it to get into universities and the only one that I'm aware of that came close to "needing further maths as a subject requirement" was Imperial college where it was strongly recommended. Imperial has also recently introduced new entrance exams for STEM subjects so I would need to take one. I would like to know if taking Further Maths would help with doing well in the entrance exams in terms of improving mathematical thinking skills and understanding?
thanks

I did an Imperial entrance exam last week for EEE, and though further maths isn’t required, it definitely helped me with doing a lot of the questions faster, meaning I was able to attempt a lot more questions than I would’ve. But you’re not penalised for not having further maths and I don’t personally think AS further maths would be helpful for entrance exams. It may be helpful for university though! Let me know if you have any other questions
Imperial entrance exams say they don’t require further maths but they at least last year had fm content. In terms of top unis especially Oxbridge very huge majority of engineering applicants does fm and not doing so if you can decrease your chance significantly.
Reply 8
Hi Warwick student here, I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics and have the following advice: At the end of the day all universities are looking for (especially in fields like physics, engineering etc) are students with a great grasp of mathematical thinking who would be taught well.

Here is the important part: The more advanced maths you do, the better your mathematical analysis/thinking will be. While these universities won't give you tests with fm content, they would look for a candidate who can solve hard problems correctly as quick as possible, while showing that you can be taught by listening to your interviewer's advice and guidance. In order to become good at that, the more "difficult maths" you do, the more familiar you will be with difficult problems and the more likely you will be to solve the problems given to you faster and better.

So bottom line, although it is not required it helps not only on your portfolio but on the actual skills you gain from it. Best of luck!
Reply 9
I agree with Clocky here. If you're going to do something like engineering at uni then I'd just stack up on maths/FM/Physics/CS. In some ways they are all inter-related disciplines and doing all of them will simply add to the foundation you will build on at uni. Why not just start the whole process earlier? Yes I know these are not the easiest of A levels but as you progress up the career ladder, you're competing with people who are just as bright and just as able to work hard. The earlier you start working harder the easier to progress up the ladder imo.
Tbh while CS can be useful it’s not at all necessary or suggested, in fact more students take chemistry before. Doing just Maths/FM/Physics is still fine for any uni, even though Oxbridge and imperial may slightly appreciate you taking more subjects, so depends on what uni you’re aiming for.
But even for Oxbridge it’s very possible to get in with 3 a levels

Quick Reply

Latest