The Student Room Group

Poetry Comparison Essay

hey, im sitting an exam in january in which i have to write a 20 mark comparison essay on two unseen poems (WJEC). can anybody tell me how to structure them to get an A*? im really freaking out
Reply 1
Hey, have you spoken to your teacher about using a specific comparative format/reading ladder paragraphs. I would say the key thing to remember is always remembering to analyse single words and find a similar link/theme in the other poem. To be able to get an A* means you need to do consistent comparison within your essay and also remaining on the specific question keeping it concise.Have you looked at any exam questions and given it a go, even if you do 1 comparing paragraph and mark it, with practise you will get there. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Hey?!?!
Hey, have you spoken to your teacher about using a specific comparative format/reading ladder paragraphs. I would say the key thing to remember is always remembering to analyse single words and find a similar link/theme in the other poem. To be able to get an A* means you need to do consistent comparison within your essay and also remaining on the specific question keeping it concise.Have you looked at any exam questions and given it a go, even if you do 1 comparing paragraph and mark it, with practise you will get there. Hope this helps :smile:

Hi, yes our teacher gave us the acronym CSMILE (content, structure, mood/atmosphere, imagery, language, evaluation).
On average how long should each paragraph be? Ive done past papers but im really struggling..how should i structure a paragraph? Is it okay if my essay is only 6-7 paragraphs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending