The Student Room Group

Thermistor question

2021-12-08.png
Hello, I have problem on question 5.
Shouldn't the graph of resistance against temperature of the one in question 3 different from question 5 because they have two different p.d.?
Or the resistance of a thermistor is only dependent on the temperature, so the resistance against temperature graph for different p.d. would be the same ,and therefore,the graphs in 3 and 5 are the same?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by long_vacation
2021-12-08.png
Hello, I have problem on question 5.
Shouldn't the graph of resistance against temperature of the one in question 3 different from question 5 because they have two different p.d.?
Or the resistance of a thermistor is only dependent on the temperature, so the resistance against temperature graph for different p.d. would be the same ,and therefore,the graphs in 3 and 5 are the same?
Thank you :smile:

The V against I graphs would 'look' different because you have a different voltage cell, resulting in a different current at each temperature. However, the resistance of the thermistor is the same at the same temperatures. The ratio of the pd to the current will be the same (same R) even though the values of V and I will be different. So the resistance against temperature graph is the same.
So use your eye again this time to extrapolate the value of the temperature at the resistance value obtained from V and I.
Original post by Stonebridge
The V against I graphs would 'look' different because you have a different voltage cell, resulting in a different current at each temperature. However, the resistance of the thermistor is the same at the same temperatures. The ratio of the pd to the current will be the same (same R) even though the values of V and I will be different. So the resistance against temperature graph is the same.
So use your eye again this time to extrapolate the value of the temperature at the resistance value obtained from V and I.

Ok thanks!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest