The Student Room Group

GCSE physics question circuits

Please could I have help on this question: explain how the reading on the voltmeter changes when the temperature of the room decreases.

I thought that as temperature decreases, the resistance of the thermistor increases so the voltage across it decreases therefore the voltage in the voltmeter will increase because the total voltage is constant in the circuit?
Yet the markscheme says something different. Thanks!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Ashirs
Please could I have help on this question: explain how the reading on the voltmeter changes when the temperature of the room decreases.

I thought that as temperature decreases, the resistance of the thermistor increases so the voltage across it decreases therefore the voltage in the voltmeter will increase because the total voltage is constant in the circuit?

Is the voltmeter measuring the voltage across the thermistor or fixed resistor?
Reply 2
Original post by Eimmanuel
Is the voltmeter measuring the voltage across the thermistor or fixed resistor?

Across the fixed resistor but isn’t the total voltage across the circuit the same so if the voltage across the thermistor decreases the voltage across the resistor should increase..?
Is this a past paper?
Reply 4
Original post by Student16061
Is this a past paper?

Yes
Original post by Ashirs

When 2 resistors are in series with a cell, the resistor with larger resistance will have larger voltage across it. You can verify it using potential divider formula.

Original post by Ashirs
Across the fixed resistor but isn’t the total voltage across the circuit the same so if the voltage across the thermistor decreases the voltage across the resistor should increase..?

When the resistance of thermistor increases, the “total current” decreases. The voltage across the fixed resistor should decrease (V=IR).
Reply 6
Original post by Eimmanuel
When 2 resistors are in series with a cell, the resistor with larger resistance will have larger voltage across it. You can verify it using potential divider formula.

When the resistance of thermistor increases, the “total current” decreases. The voltage across the fixed resistor should decrease (V=IR).

Ohhh ok thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest