The Student Room Group

Help with exact equations

Hi all,

I'm having a really difficult time with this question:

t(1-x)-(t^2 * x)/2 * dx/dt = 0.

It has to be solved using the exact equations method, and via Young's Theorem, fx and gt are not the same:

fx = -x, gt= -tx

I'm struggling on actually finding a viable integrating factor, though! I've done the case (gt-fx)/g to get a function in terms of t only, but this leaves me with a really dodgy integrating factor, which when I try and solve the equation using, end up with some gamma function.

Any help, please?
Original post by econhelp525
Hi all,

I'm having a really difficult time with this question:

t(1-x)-(t^2 * x)/2 * dx/dt = 0.

It has to be solved using the exact equations method, and via Young's Theorem, fx and gt are not the same:

fx = -x, gt= -tx

I'm struggling on actually finding a viable integrating factor, though! I've done the case (gt-fx)/g to get a function in terms of t only, but this leaves me with a really dodgy integrating factor, which when I try and solve the equation using, end up with some gamma function.

Any help, please?

Not my forté, but from a little digging and in lieu of any other responses, there are potentially two integrating fractors (and it's a case of checking each out) arising out of exponentating:

gtfxg  dt\displaystyle \int \frac{g_t-f_x}{g}\;dt

fxgtf  dx\displaystyle \int \frac{f_x-g_t}{f}\;dx

And the latter yields a very simple integrating factor.

Couldn't get LaTeX to produce elegant output when exponentiating both of those - anyone know how it might be done?
Reply 2
With a bit of rearranging you can do a fairly simple seperation of variables. You end up with something like
log(x) + x = log(t)
hence the problem with using elementary functions for writing down the closed form solution.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
With a bit of rearranging you can do a fairly simple seperation of variables. You end up with something like
log(x) + x = log(t)
hence the problem with using elementary functions for writing down the closed form solution.

I've already solved it using that method, however we're asked to verify using the exact equations method. Thank you anyway
Original post by ghostwalker
Not my forté, but from a little digging and in lieu of any other responses, there are potentially two integrating fractors (and it's a case of checking each out) arising out of exponentating:

gtfxg  dt\displaystyle \int \frac{g_t-f_x}{g}\;dt

fxgtf  dx\displaystyle \int \frac{f_x-g_t}{f}\;dx

And the latter yields a very simple integrating factor.

Couldn't get LaTeX to produce elegant output when exponentiating both of those - anyone know how it might be done?

The first one gives me an expression in terms of t only, which I tried using as an integrating factor, but got a horrible gamma function from. The second one is in terms of t and x, so not a valid integrating factor.

I just don't know what's going wrong here!
Reply 5
I've already solved it using that method, however we're asked to verify using the exact equations method. Thank you anyway

It helps to be clear in the OP what you've tried. When you say verify, do you mean verify that the solution satisfies the DE or try and redo the solution? Could you upload a pic of the original question and your working pls.
Original post by mqb2766
It helps to be clear in the OP what you've tried. When you say verify, do you mean verify that the solution satisfies the DE or try and redo the solution? Could you upload a pic of the original question and your working pls.

I suppose redo the solution would be more appropriate?
Reply 7
I suppose redo the solution would be more appropriate?

Can you upload a pic of the question as well pls.
Original post by mqb2766
Can you upload a pic of the question as well pls.

I attached a screenshot in my previous post. Did it not show? There should be a link
Reply 9
I attached a screenshot in my previous post. Did it not show? There should be a link

There is a pic of your working, but no original question.
Original post by mqb2766
There is a pic of your working, but no original question.

16413970055397682636988556272293.jpg
Apologies, here it is. Question 2
The second one is in terms of t and x, so not a valid integrating factor.

I just don't know what's going wrong here!

:holmes: Everything cancelled when I tried it. I suggest checking your working for the second one, and uploading if you think it's still correct.
Original post by ghostwalker
:holmes: Everything cancelled when I tried it. I suggest checking your working for the second one, and uploading if you think it's still correct.

Really?

I've been doing:

(-x+tx)/(1-x) which is the same as x(t-1)/(1-x) so I'm not sure what's cancelling here?
Nevermind! I see my mistake now. Can't believe I didn't spot my incorrect initial differentiation at the beginning!
Nevermind! I see my mistake now. Can't believe I didn't spot my incorrect initial differentiation at the beginning!

:cool:

Edit: Should have picked you up on your first post when you had fx=xf_x=-x rather than just assuming it was a typo. on your part.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest