The Student Room Group

hypothesis testing question

A television company believes that the proportion of households that can receive Channel C is 0.35.

i) In a random sample of 14 households it is found that 2 can receive Channel C. Test, at the 2.5% significance level, whether there is evidence that the proportion of households that can receive Channel C is less than 0.35. [7]

ii) On another occasion the test is carried out again, with the same hypotheses and significance level as in part (i), but using a new sample, of size n. It is found that no members of the sample can receive Channel C. Find the largest value of n for which the null hypothesis is not rejected. Show all relevant working.

Please could someone suggest how I can approach part ii? I have done part i..
(edited 1 year ago)
ii) is similar to i) but the "no members receive" is one of the extreme values of the binomial distribution with a simple joint probability.
Reply 2
so I think I might have to try work out p(0) from B(n,0.35) but I'm not sure how to do that without knowing what n is. could I do 0.65^n is larger than 0.025
Original post by mqb2766
ii) is similar to i) but the "no members receive" is one of the extreme values of the binomial distribution with a simple joint probability.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lavely
so I think I might have to try work out p(0) from B(n,0.35) but I'm not sure how to do that without knowing what n is. could I do 0.65^n is larger than 0.025

Yes (bold). They're trying to see if you understand what hypothesis testing represents for a slightly different scenario, rather than punching numbers into your calc.
Reply 4
thank you. obviously for this scenario it was easier as when I put it into the binomial distribution formula, n choose zero equalled one and 0.35 ^0 =1. But if this was not the case and I was asked to find for e.g. P(2), is there another method I could take for all situations?
Original post by mqb2766
Yes (bold). They're trying to see if you understand what hypothesis testing represents for a slightly different scenario, rather than punching numbers into your calc.
Original post by lavely
thank you. obviously for this scenario it was easier as when I put it into the binomial distribution formula, n choose zero equalled one and 0.35 ^0 =1. But if this was not the case and I was asked to find for e.g. P(2), is there another method I could take for all situations?

Not sure I fully understand what youre asking, but this question "works" (simple expression) because the cumulative distribution is just the joint 0.65^n and can be solved using logs. More generally, if the cumulative involved 0, 1, 2 households (for instance), that would be the sum of 3 expressions involving n as powers (0.65^n, 0.35^n) and multipliers (nCr). As its the sum of expressions of n, there is no simple closed form solution based on logs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
sorry for my lack of clarity, I understand what you are saying. However I just found the mark scheme online and it seems that they had another method of finding the value out without using logs. Just wondering if this other method they used (which I can't decipher from the ms) can be applied to more ranges of situations
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure I fully understand what youre asking, but this question "works" (simple expression) because the cumulative distribution is just the joint 0.65^n and can be solved using logs. More generally, if the cumulative involved 0, 1, 2 households (for instance), that would be the sum of 3 expressions involving n as powers (0.65^n, 0.35^n) and multipliers (nCr). As its the sum of expressions of n, there is no simple closed form solution based on logs.
Original post by lavely
sorry for my lack of clarity, I understand what you are saying. However I just found the mark scheme online and it seems that they had another method of finding the value out without using logs. Just wondering if this other method they used (which I can't decipher from the ms) can be applied to more ranges of situations

Looks like their other "method" is to punch values for n into your calculation until two bracket 0.025. Its a valid solution though monkeys and typewriters comes to mind ... and the question does ask for "all relevant working" and Id be wary of simply writing down calculator values. The previous post stands, there isn't a simple closed form expression in general.
The standard way to evaluate the cumulative binomial is using your calculator and you can obviously do this for different values of n as long as you don't get bored.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
okay thank you for your explanation!
Original post by mqb2766
Looks like their other "method" is to punch values for n into your calculation until two bracket 0.025. Its a valid solutio though monkeys and typewriters comes to mind ... The previous post stands, there isn't a simple closed form expression in general.
The standard way to evaluate the cumulative binomial is using your calculator and you can obviously do this for different values of n as long as you don't get bored.

Quick Reply

Latest