The Student Room Group

normal distribution hypothesis testing

For these normal distribution hypothesis testing questions you either have to test significance or find the critical region. How do I know which one to do?
Reply 1
Original post by strawberry lover
For these normal distribution hypothesis testing questions you either have to test significance or find the critical region. How do I know which one to do?

A question will always ask you if you need to find the critical region. If it’s just a hypothesis test where they want you to test if a single result is significant then there’s no need to find the critical region, and it’s a waste of time to do so.
I've attatched a photo of the question and the answer. In the question they do not ask for the critical region explicitly but you still have to do it. In this question how am I to know that I have to calculate the critical region rather than test for significance?

Original post by Notnek
A question will always ask you if you need to find the critical region. If it’s just a hypothesis test where they want you to test if a single result is significant then there’s no need to find the critical region, and it’s a waste of time to do so.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by strawberry lover
I've attatched a photo of the question and the answer. In the question they do not ask for the critical region explicitly but you still have to do it. In this question how am I to know that I have to calculate the critical region rather than test for significance?

The textbook answer used a critical region but if this was an exam question you could do it just by checking whether the 12.2 observation is significant - the mark scheme would award full marks for either method. I’d recommend not finding the critical region unless the question asks you to or you need to test multiple observations.

Quick Reply

Latest