The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good question! i'm applying for psych/phil , but have only done psych at Al evel , so will struggle more with the phil. side of things at interview- maybe will get offered on the EP only if balls up the other subject area - he says with optimism ; still no interview
Reply 2
You're not expected to have studied philosophy before so they won't expect any/much prior knowledge.
It's possible- i know frequently linguists apply for say French and Spanish and get asked if they'd accept an offer for just French etc. Can't think of any of people in this situation off the top of my head, but you may get asked.
Reply 3
thanks for that, although still half wishing i'd applied for the straight EP option now - as ssemingly you still have opportunity to do philos without the stress at interview. oh well, hopefully as you say they will recognise i've not taken Alevel philos !
Reply 4
I hope so :p:
Reply 5
It depends on the university - some will and some won't.

:clip:
Reply 6
paperclip
It depends on the university - some will and some won't.

:clip:

*cough* Have you noticed which forum this is in?:wink:
Reply 7
Lucy Pevensie
Say if you apply to History and Politics, or another combined degree like Engineering/Materials, Economics and management or Physics and philosophy. If you get rejected from the minor subject (philosophy, Economics and management or politics in the above examples), but the tutors in the main subject thinks youre fine, will you still get an offer for the main subject only?

History and Politics, no idea, engineering and materials no idea. Oxford doesn't offer pure philosophy, economics, management or politics so no for those.
When I went to the History open day, they said that they will ask you if you would accept an offer for single honours, if your applying for joint honours.

Don't know about other departments though
I know people doing Physics who applied for Phys\Phil, so that one at least is possible. I should imagine it applies in general to joint honours - after all, they want to take the best people they can.
hobnob
*cough* Have you noticed which forum this is in?:wink:

Whoops, sorry :o:

The recent threads bar is not my friend
Reply 11
teebs
History and Politics, no idea, engineering and materials no idea. Oxford doesn't offer pure philosophy, economics, management or politics so no for those.
She didn't imply that they did- go read his post again carefully.
thomasjtl
He didn't imply that they did- go read his post again carefully.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Oh and im a girl:yep:
Reply 13
Generally for Oxford, No.

BUT in some colleges for PPE (and this really was a very little known exception to the rule) they would consider you for E&M if you were unsuccessful at PPE and you asked them to do so beforehand in writing.

I looked it all up a year ago, and it was true then, but try emailing colleges for more up to date info.
Reply 14
appleme
BUT in some colleges for PPE (and this really was a very little known exception to the rule) they would consider you for E&M if you were unsuccessful at PPE and you asked them to do so beforehand in writing.

I'd be surprised if that happens, considering the rising application figures and the TSA now being used for both. It might be a one-off occurrence if, e.g., it was discovered at interview that the student was really much more suited to the other course, but it's not something you can nominate in advance. It is true that the two courses used to consider applicants together, though.
Well...from personal experience (or near enough). My ex applied last year for Spanish and Arabic. She got rejected outright despite being told in her post-interview notes that she was the best candidate for Spanish applying for any of their language courses. She was rather pissed off, understandably.

So from here looks like it's very unlikely, even for subjects as closely connected as straight Spanish versus Spanish and Arabic - and PPE versus E&M are completely different ball games in comparison.
Reply 16
pf1
I'd be surprised if that happens, considering the rising application figures and the TSA now being used for both. It might be a one-off occurrence if, e.g., it was discovered at interview that the student was really much more suited to the other course, but it's not something you can nominate in advance. It is true that the two courses used to consider applicants together, though.

Univ used to do that up until last year, I think. But they no longer offer E&M, so presumably they don't do it anymore.
Isn't modern languages a bit different though - you can't do Spanish on its own, so they couldn't offer you it.
Reply 18
hobnob
Univ used to do that up until last year, I think. But they no longer offer E&M, so presumably they don't do it anymore.

:confused:
Reply 19
Waheyyyy
:confused:

link
"Please note that University College has decided not to admit any further students for Economics and Management (E&M). This is a change from the information provided in the printed prospectus."

Latest

Trending

Trending