The Student Room Group

Is 4 a-levels really that bad?

I’m taking 4 a-levels once I start year 12 but I’m starting to get worried that I won’t be able to handle the content based on what teachers have told me. I also want to go to med school and I really don’t want the content of 4 subjects to lower my grades.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tasha_1306
I’m taking 4 a-levels once I start year 12 but I’m starting to get worried that I won’t be able to handle the content based on what teachers have told me. I also want to go to med school and I really don’t want the content of 4 subjects to lower my grades.

Hey! From what ive heard unis don't 'favour' students with four a levels over three, but its up to you. A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and a you have to put a lot more of your own work in. It also depends on your a levels because some people who pick maths take further maths as a fourth.
At the end of the day its up to you and you could always go ahead with it and drop the fourth if you feel like its too much pressure.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hey! From what ive heard unis don't 'favour' students with four a levels over three, but its up to you. A levels are a big jump from GCSE's and a you have to put a lot more of your own work in. It also depends on your a levels because some people who pick maths take further maths as a fourth.
At the end of the day its up to you and you could always go ahead with it and drop the fourth if you feel like its too much pressure.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks that’s really helpful :smile: I didn’t particularly want to take 4 but I really want to take mandarin a level and you can only take it as a 4th option along with 3 other subjects at my sixth form. I think I’ll be okay as long as I keep up with revision. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 3

It's definitely a lot, but depends on what subjects. From what I've heard, I had a friend taking a community language (Italian) as their 4th subject but they hardly had to work for it as they spoke the language at home.

My Sixth form allowed people to drop their 4th subject after their first year if they regretted it, maybe yours does too?

Either way it's definitely a lot of extra work so think about it. With hard work comes good rewards!
A-levels are definitely a large step up from GCSE's. Don't think that Uni's will favour your fourth A-level over someone with 3 A-levels and better grades.

It depends heavily on which subjects you choose and I would honestly say that if you truly want to do well then you could probably ace 4 of any A-level pairing.
Reply 5
Original post by GonRo
It's definitely a lot, but depends on what subjects. From what I've heard, I had a friend taking a community language (Italian) as their 4th subject but they hardly had to work for it as they spoke the language at home.

My Sixth form allowed people to drop their 4th subject after their first year if they regretted it, maybe yours does too?

Either way it's definitely a lot of extra work so think about it. With hard work comes good rewards!

I’m planning on taking chemistry, biology, geography and mandarin :wink: but I’m only taking four so I can take mandarin so I wouldn’t be able to drop any if I want to continue mandarin.
honestly I did four and it was actually not even bad, good, even. Just try and stay on top of ur studies and you'll cruise through year 12. don't forget to plan some time for friends, family and fun!
Reply 7
I’m planning on taking chemistry, biology, geography and mandarin :wink: but I’m only taking four so I can take mandarin so I wouldn’t be able to drop any if I want to continue mandarin.

I think the point is Mandarin is expendable as far as Medicine is concerned so if you are struggling you can drop it.Son did 5 dropping down to four.Hard work but strategic in his case.It just depends on the person and how well they cope. Whst did you get at GCSE?
Reply 8

I did 4 and it wasn’t that bad.
Reply 9

If you're aiming for a degree in stem I highly recommend you take the A-Levels that are closely related as this can basically open up most of the opportunities. I'm in Year 13 taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and the key with A-Level success is to not make it seem like any work whatsoever and this is what Oxbridge students do. Most people complain about the sheer difficulty associated with taking these A-Levels but I changed my mindset about how I approached the subjects and instead of thinking of it as work, I now think of studying as "brainstorming" or a fun way to be ingenuous but you really need to love what you study; most people who take A-Levels have no clue with what they want to do with their life so by you placing emphasis on this you're already ahead of the game. I really believe anyone can succeed with the right mindset and having a genuine passion! Goodluck for Year 12, I advise you to say consistent i.e a bit of practice questions here and there will pay off!
Original post by KDawn
I did 4 and it wasn’t that bad.

Lol I really don't understand why most people are against advocating for 4 A-Levels. Yes it does take most of your time but its completely manageable with the right mindset and the skills you learn such as discipline, time management and problem solving is something that is more favoured than 3 A Levels.
Most students applying to Oxbridge anyway will take 4 A-Levels so yes it really puts you in a UCAS advantage only if you can find the right balance.
Reply 11
Original post by ThatKid777
Lol I really don't understand why most people are against advocating for 4 A-Levels. Yes it does take most of your time but its completely manageable with the right mindset and the skills you learn such as discipline, time management and problem solving is something that is more favoured than 3 A Levels.
Most students applying to Oxbridge anyway will take 4 A-Levels so yes it really puts you in a UCAS advantage only if you can find the right balance.

Apart from a small minority of cases, doing 4 A Levels offers zero benefit to UCAS applications so what's the point?. Most students applying to Oxbridge take 4 A Levels but that doesn't mean they have any advantage over those who take 3.

There are exceptions like further maths as a fourth subject for example.
Original post by Notnek
Apart from a small minority of cases, doing 4 A Levels offers zero benefit to UCAS applications so what's the point?. Most students applying to Oxbridge take 4 A Levels but that doesn't mean they have any advantage over those who take 3.

There are exceptions like further maths as a fourth subject for example.

The benefits of taking 4 A-Levels goes way beyond UCAS. It teaches you crucial life skills such as time management, discipline and resilience. I agree that the most common 4th A Level is further maths and this is definitely an exception but make sure your 4th A Level is somewhat similar to your degree. For example a power A-Level Combination for engineering is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and choosing something like Maths, Computer Science, History and English literature wouldn't be useful.
Reply 13

Other than where the 4th is FM, it really does not give you an advantage. Cambridge admin tutors have made this very clear. Also, bear in mind that you are not going to get into Oxbridge with just A levels. You need to spend a lot of time on super curriculars, entrance exam prep, interview prep, EPQ ideally, work experience in the case of medicine. Will you have time to do all that to the required level if you are doing 4?
Reply 14
The benefits of taking 4 A-Levels goes way beyond UCAS. It teaches you crucial life skills such as time management, discipline and resilience.

Why not take 5 A Levels then? Or 6, 7? Why is 4 your magic number?
Taking 4 subjects at AS level is normal but there's no real benefit taking 4 at A2 level and it could actually negatively impact your grades in all subjects so I'd recommend just taking 3 at A2.
Original post by Notnek
Why not take 5 A Levels then? Or 6, 7? Why is 4 your magic number?

Absolutely! I'm doing 5 A-Levels and I'll do 6,7,8 even 9 A Levels if I wanted to! Who's going to stop me? I've met 2 people who've taken 5 A-Levels and it was to do with their career pathways and own enjoyment however it generally wouldn't fit peoples timetables given they have two years to complete it.
Reply 17
Absolutely! I'm doing 5 A-Levels and I'll do 6,7,8 even 9 A Levels if I wanted to! Who's going to stop me? I've met 2 people who've taken 5 A-Levels and it was to do with their career pathways and own enjoyment however it generally wouldn't fit peoples timetables given they have two years to complete it.

You and those you are talking about are in a very tiny minority who take lots of A Levels because they enjoy learning so much.

A Levels are hard for the vast majority of students and most need all the help they can get to achieve good grades and get a uni place. Recommending more than the required number of A Levels is not helpful.

Unless you're trying to go into Imperial there's really no point. Oxbridge and other RG unis don't care so long as you achieved good grades in 3 A levels.
Reply 19

Hey, I’m going into Yr 13 and doing 4 A-levels. I also want to do med, and you’re right it is a lot work!

You can always drop your 4th subject if you feel like it’s too much. I am planning on dropping further maths when I go back, nothing to do with the subject I love further maths but I want a chance to focus on my main 3 subjects to get the best out of them. So there’s no harm in having a go at it.

A lot of unis I’ve looked into don’t really care about the 4th subject but honestly it teaches you a lot in itself. You’ll have more work to do than the average student and you’ll gain a lot of discipline from it. I never intended to do a 4th A-level but now I think about it, I don’t regret it.

If you think you can manage it then you should absolutely take the opportunity. At least trial it out for the first few weeks and you can always drop out later.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest