The Student Room Group

URGENT help with apprenticeship

I'm on a degree apprenticeship in software engineering.

My employer is fantastic, however the degree apprenticeship provider, QA, is probably the most disorganised company I have ever come across.
Just look them up on Trust Pilot to get a feel.

They're supposed to be delivering a degree programme in software engineering backed by a university, but their teaching is shambolic.
Modules are basically a series of poorly made videos and mini-quizzes.
We have a study day every Monday, which is basically a person reading from the slides.

It's utter trash.
I wouldn't expect this at BTEC level, never mind degree level.

What are my options?
I don't know what to do.

If they don't improve, can I approach a reputable university and ask my employer to allow me to do one of their courses (if I can find a distance learning software engineering course)? I'm not sure how this would work with regards to apprenticeship financing.

I feel so deflated :frown:
Hi young man/lady,

I see where you are coming from - a number of highly-ranked unis in computer-related courses have reports/feedback of poor teaching/discipline/organization.

You probably already know the brilliant book on software engineering by Somerville - I have read most of it tho only for a [albeit rather heavy] module on SE in MSc CS NOT an entire degree in SE; all I can suggest is for u
to rely heavily on self-study and perhaps [if you can afford it] a tutor for some online support.

If, during your course, you have any specific topics that you struggle with, I am happy to help out [I got a v good mark in that module mainly cos I enjoyed the content].

Best wishes & be safe!
M
I studied mechanical engineering as a degree apprentice and had the same issues.

Broken equipment, lecturers without understanding of real world applications, overly limiting software versions, course pacing, outdated examination methods, unprofessional and rude staff, and lack of study material clarity or quality.

I don’t know any degree apprentice who valued the academic part of their apprenticeship. I’ve done 4 back-to-back apprenticeships at progressive levels and it’s always been the low point.

I’m starting to think this is what undergrad university is, and the only difference to degree apprentices is that we have a live comparison to real world application.

I lost all value for uni, and instead just plodded on as if it was a check box for my broader aim - completing the apprenticeship EPA and evidencing my competence.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for your replies, guys.

We have a meeting tomorrow about this issue we're having with QA (the apprenticeship provider) to discuss potential ways forward.
Original post by mathperson

My employer is fantastic, however the degree apprenticeship provider, QA, is probably the most disorganised company I have ever come across.

They're supposed to be delivering a degree programme in software engineering backed by a university, but their teaching is shambolic.
We have a study day every Monday, which is basically a person reading from the slides.

It's utter trash.

What are my options?
I don't know what to do.

If they don't improve, can I approach a reputable university and ask my employer to allow me to do one of their courses (if I can find a distance learning software engineering course)? I'm not sure how this would work with regards to apprenticeship financing.

I would speak to somebody at your company about it. If you have a learning and development team or somebody who generally oversees apprentices, they're the person to speak to. Otherwise, it's HR. Tell them that the course is not being delivered to a good standard. The company's paying for your education and they will want to use you as a valuable employee so most of the time they do care about the training provider to some extent and should intervene on your behalf if the course quality is poor.
Reply 5
It's utter trash.
What are my options?
I don't know what to do.
That is shocking. I expect better for an apprenticeship but if you're still having to rely on one of those university camps for your grade, worst luck. The only saving grace is you're not getting into a penny of debt.
Reply 6
Original post by MaleMan
That is shocking. I expect better for an apprenticeship but if you're still having to rely on one of those university camps for your grade, worst luck. The only saving grace is you're not getting into a penny of debt.
I gave up on it and literally walked out almost exactly a year ago.
So many businesses out there being paid handsomely by the government to deliver digital apprenticeships but who provide **** poor standards of training.
So many businesses out there being paid handsomely by the government to deliver digital apprenticeships but who provide **** poor standards of training.
what are you doing now if it’s okay to ask?
Reply 8
I had a similar experience on a Kickstart scheme, which is why I'm looking into apprenticeships (I was ignored and pushed out by an apprentice and she went on to be promoted at another company while I lost my job). At my level though, I probably won't be relying on universities which is where I presume the problem lies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending