The Student Room Group

Vet school interview help

Hello!
I just got an interview invite to University of Edinburgh vet school. I was wondering if you guys have suggestions for online interview prep services? Like 1-on-1 mentoring or mock interviews etc.

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Ah well done !!
How did you find out about the interview and are you undergraduate entry? Xx
Reply 2
Original post by mazzclo1
Ah well done !!
How did you find out about the interview and are you undergraduate entry? Xx

Hello!
I got an email on Tuesday :smile: I'm an international student and applied for the D100 undergrad entry 5 year program! Do you happen to have any suggestions for resources to help me prepare? Thanks so much!
Reply 3
There are a lot of mentoring resources online, but they can be very expensive so I've never tried them!
There's a vet medicine interview prep on TSR somewhere, it's a massive very useful thread with loads of content.

I had a Surrey interview on the 4th November and this is what I did, I prepared for about 3 days before:
- Read up on any vet topics I wasn't too sure about (lots of current topics are in the TSR thread)
- Reread personal statement and entire application as a refresher
- 2 mock interviews, one with one of my teachers and another with one of my friends - you can find general interview questions online! If you're doing a MMI interview, have a timer so you know how long you're talking for. Both interviews were super helpful in their own ways!
- On the day, I just went to a coffee shop near my house and did a bit more reading, then went on a long walk and got ready (my interview was online). It's more about getting you into a good mindset than anything

Personally, too much prep makes me more anxious, so I preferred to do what felt right to me! This might not work for you, but I hope some of this is useful!

I know some people like to do more prep etc, however as a vet applicant you will already know a fair amount aboht topics that interest you and a lot of the time the unis just want to see how you think. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by c.1.
There are a lot of mentoring resources online, but they can be very expensive so I've never tried them!
There's a vet medicine interview prep on TSR somewhere, it's a massive very useful thread with loads of content.

I had a Surrey interview on the 4th November and this is what I did, I prepared for about 3 days before:
- Read up on any vet topics I wasn't too sure about (lots of current topics are in the TSR thread)
- Reread personal statement and entire application as a refresher
- 2 mock interviews, one with one of my teachers and another with one of my friends - you can find general interview questions online! If you're doing a MMI interview, have a timer so you know how long you're talking for. Both interviews were super helpful in their own ways!
- On the day, I just went to a coffee shop near my house and did a bit more reading, then went on a long walk and got ready (my interview was online). It's more about getting you into a good mindset than anything

Personally, too much prep makes me more anxious, so I preferred to do what felt right to me! This might not work for you, but I hope some of this is useful!

I know some people like to do more prep etc, however as a vet applicant you will already know a fair amount aboht topics that interest you and a lot of the time the unis just want to see how you think. Good luck!

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know where I can find the current topics in vet med in this TSR thread?
(edited 1 year ago)
This TSR thread has links to resources. I am a current 2nd year vet student at Liverpool who had done the application process twice as I got no offers in my first time applying, and since then have been helping out with following application cycles on here. I often post in the main vet applicant thread with tips and in other places.

If you're looking for the email sorry but I don't have time to send it anymore, look on my GYG for tips and if you still need help please PM me with specific questions :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RambleAmple
This TSR thread has links to resources. I am a current 2nd year vet student at Liverpool who had done the application process twice as I got no offers in my first time applying, and since then have been helping out with following application cycles on here. I often post in the main vet applicant thread with tips and in other places, but I have a massive (I mean massive) email I sent to an applicant from my old school last year to give her interview tips for preparing for Nottingham, and she did end up getting the offer for it. I am happy to PM anyone with it, also if anyone wants a mock interview etc I'm happy to help. I wouldn't bother paying for interview help - there's plenty experienced users on here who are willing to help and as someone mentioned somewhere else it should be fairly natural rather than majorly rehearsed answers - the interview is just there to find out more about you, not who has the best interview skills, and honestly most uni staff are a lot more friendly and less strict than you expect.

Thank you so much for the information! That would be great if you could message me the email, I would really appreciate it! Would I be able to contact you in the near future to run a mock interview, once I've prepared a bit? Thank you so much!! :smile:
Original post by hywv
Thank you so much for the information! That would be great if you could message me the email, I would really appreciate it! Would I be able to contact you in the near future to run a mock interview, once I've prepared a bit? Thank you so much!! :smile:

Yes, I'll send it over now. Not sure if you can reply to me on PM or not as a new member. And yes of course, contact me whenever :smile:
Reply 8
Yes, I'll send it over now. Not sure if you can reply to me on PM or not as a new member. And yes of course, contact me whenever :smile:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help!! <3
This TSR thread has links to resources. I am a current 2nd year vet student at Liverpool who had done the application process twice as I got no offers in my first time applying, and since then have been helping out with following application cycles on here. I often post in the main vet applicant thread with tips and in other places, but I have a massive (I mean massive) email I sent to an applicant from my old school last year to give her interview tips for preparing for Nottingham, and she did end up getting the offer for it. I am happy to PM anyone with it, also if anyone wants a mock interview etc I'm happy to help. I wouldn't bother paying for interview help - there's plenty experienced users on here who are willing to help and as someone mentioned somewhere else it should be fairly natural rather than majorly rehearsed answers - the interview is just there to find out more about you, not who has the best interview skills, and honestly most uni staff are a lot more friendly and less strict than you expect.

Hi, thanks so much for this. Do you think you could send me the email?
Reply 10

PRSOM!!

Hiya, thanks for this message it was really useful advice! :smile: Would I be able to grab a copy of that email please?

Hi, I've just found your post. I'm applying to Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol. I am a new member but would love to see your tips if possible? Can you send it over? Thank you
Thank you so much 😀
Original post by happyplace11
Hi, I've just found your post. I'm applying to Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol. I am a new member but would love to see your tips if possible? Can you send it over? Thank you
Hi - I'm another one who would love to get that email, too. Thank you so much. You are a massive help to everyone.

Thank you so much. I just received it.

Hi! Thank you so much for this! I was really helpful. Do you think you could send me the email, please?
Could I have the email as well please? that's going to be super helpful!! thanks so much:smile:

Hi, I am new to this group and have joined as I have got an interview with Liverpool on the 2nd and am getting pretty nervous! I would be really grateful to see a copy of the email to help me to prepare. :smile: I have also applied to Nottingham, H&K and am currently on hold for Bristol. Thanks again.
Hi i've just got an interview for the prelim year at Nottingham Uni, would your advice still be applicable. If so can i ask you to send me a copy of the email.
Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending