The Student Room Group

Applied for UCLAN Foundation Veterinary medicine

Any tips on potential decline as I’m nervous of getting rejected for Vet medicine Foundation Entry at UNIVERSITY OF LANCASHIRE.

I have the grade required : DDM and the GCSE requirements as well and have done my Personal statement over and over again with friends before I submitted it. Now I’m nervous as some vet school can reject you even if you have the grade if they are oversubscribed.
Original post by Xaomi12
Any tips on potential decline as I’m nervous of getting rejected for Vet medicine Foundation Entry at UNIVERSITY OF LANCASHIRE.

I have the grade required : DDM and the GCSE requirements as well and have done my Personal statement over and over again with friends before I submitted it. Now I’m nervous as some vet school can reject you even if you have the grade if they are oversubscribed.

Hi there @Xaomi12, :smile:

Great to hear that you have applied to study BVMS Veterinary Medicine & Surgery (Foundation Entry) here at UCLan.

I know this can be a worrying time for many applicants waiting to hear back, try to focus on the fact that you've worked hard and have done everything you can. Our admissions team are working through applications and will be in touch as soon as possible with an update. If you have any questions please feel free to send us a DM on any of our social accounts, or email you can email our admissions team at [email protected].

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Reply 2
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the reply. Knowing that the application ends in January if I'm correct - Do you know if the response to the application would occur during February or roughly February to May, I presume?
Reply 3
I just want to ensure you are aware their ‘foundation entry’ is not really a foundation to vet med course as you have to reapply for vet med once on the course. Most foundation programs you automatically end up on the vet program as long as you pass the year but with their program only a small amount can go onto vet med and you have to undergo an interview etc anyway. Just something to be aware of! Have you applied to any others? X
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
I just want to ensure you are aware their ‘foundation entry’ is not really a foundation to vet med course as you have to reapply for vet med once on the course. Most foundation programs you automatically end up on the vet program as long as you pass the year but with their program only a small amount can go onto vet med and you have to undergo an interview etc anyway. Just something to be aware of! Have you applied to any others? X
That’s not correct. Progression numbers are not capped but are based on attainment to ensure you’ll be able to cope with the challenges of the vet degree
Reply 5
Original post by VetMedGuru
That’s not correct. Progression numbers are not capped but are based on attainment to ensure you’ll be able to cope with the challenges of the vet degree

I mean they told me at their open day numbers were capped so… the attainment for it to be a legit foundation course is by passing the year. Their website is VERY misleading in saying the course is 6 years when it is not. No genuine foundation (to vet med) program makes you reapply to vet med alongside the course and do an interview etc
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Xaomi12
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the reply. Knowing that the application ends in January if I'm correct - Do you know if the response to the application would occur during February or roughly February to May, I presume?

Hi there @Xaomi12, :smile:

Yes, applications for our BVMS Veterinary Medicine & Surgery (Foundation Entry) course must be submitted before the UCAS deadline on 31st January. Our admissions team will then review applications after the deadline. Applicants will receive a decisions on their application anytime after the deadline till May.

If you have any questions about your application you can contact our admissions team directly at [email protected] for further support.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Reply 7
Numbers are not capped but they do set a mark you have to achieve to progress to vet med- if you have previously had an interview with them for BVMS you do not need to reinterview (for example for candidates who did not get the grades for vet med but had had an offer from them).
Original post by Vetmum13
Numbers are not capped but they do set a mark you have to achieve to progress to vet med- if you have previously had an interview with them for BVMS you do not need to reinterview (for example for candidates who did not get the grades for vet med but had had an offer from them).

So if you didn’t have an interview or failed the interview do you still need to reinterview or can you just pass the year by a certain mark
Reply 9
Original post by Hannah162782
So if you didn’t have an interview or failed the interview do you still need to reinterview or can you just pass the year by a certain mark

I think you would have to interview again - I believe it’s only those who have passed the 5 yr vet med interview then didn’t get grades that don’t interview again but then need to get around 70% to progress
(edited 5 months ago)
I mean they told me at their open day numbers were capped so… the attainment for it to be a legit foundation course is by passing the year. Their website is VERY misleading in saying the course is 6 years when it is not. No genuine foundation (to vet med) program makes you reapply to vet med alongside the course and do an interview etc

If by capped you mean they don’t offer infinite places you’re correct. But no vet school offers infinite places so this sees an odd thing to be upset about. If by capped you mean the number of students progressing to year one of the degree are limited, you are incorrect. All students can progress subject to achieving the progression requirements which are clearly outlined on the website :

As the course is highly competitive, to progress onto Year 1 of our BVMS course, you'll need to partake in the standard application process, which requires the following:

Meet the qualifying grade criteria in Year 0

Apply for BVMS Year 1 in your first semester of Year 0

Complete the interview selection event

Receive an offer to join the BVMS 5-year programme

Meet any conditional requirements of the offer

Join the BVMS 5-year programme at the start of the next academic year

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-medicine-surgery-foundation-entry-bvms
Reply 11
If by capped you mean they don’t offer infinite places you’re correct. But no vet school offers infinite places so this sees an odd thing to be upset about. If by capped you mean the number of students progressing to year one of the degree are limited, you are incorrect. All students can progress subject to achieving the progression requirements which are clearly outlined on the website :

As the course is highly competitive, to progress onto Year 1 of our BVMS course, you'll need to partake in the standard application process, which requires the following:

Meet the qualifying grade criteria in Year 0

Apply for BVMS Year 1 in your first semester of Year 0

Complete the interview selection event

Receive an offer to join the BVMS 5-year programme

Meet any conditional requirements of the offer

Join the BVMS 5-year programme at the start of the next academic year

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-medicine-surgery-foundation-entry-bvms

Not sure why you are replying 4 months later seems a bit pointless but I will just repeat exactly what I said 4 months ago… that’s what THEY told me.
Not sure why you are replying 4 months later seems a bit pointless but I will just repeat exactly what I said 4 months ago… that’s what THEY told me.
They told you they don’t offer infinite places?
Seems pretty accurate then.
Are infinite places a requirement for it to be a ‘true foundation degree’? In which case, which vet courses offer unlimited spots?

I’m confused?!
They told you they don’t offer infinite places?
Seems pretty accurate then.
Are infinite places a requirement for it to be a ‘true foundation degree’? In which case, which vet courses offer unlimited spots?

I’m confused?!

If that^^ confuses you unfortunately there’s not a lot I can do to help. I’m sure you’ll reply in another month so you have plenty of time to figure it out 😊
Hi I got an offer for the foundation course and I remember there being a big debate about getting into the vet course after the foundation year did it ever get confirmed? Do you think if you’re on the waitlist forthe vet course does that count as passing theinterview stage or would you have needed the offer?Or do you just have to pass the first year? Soconfused 😂 don’t know whether I’d accept if it’s justto apply again next year when o already have gradesfor the uclan course? Thanks ahha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending