The Student Room Group

How to gain advocacy experience as a transferring solicitor

How can a qualified solicitor can gain advocacy experience relevant to pupillage applications? Please let me know any ideas. I am continuing to practise as a solicitor until I (hopefully) gain pupillage.

Several opportunities are limited to either students (e.g. the School Exclusion Project) or barristers (Advocate).

I cannot yet join an Inn and moot there as I need to have taken the Bar Transfer Test, which I hope to take once I have gained pupillage.

From what I can tell, the FRU is the only viable option available, but I haven't been able to sign up for that so far due to it being so oversubscribed/website crashing when applications opened.
Join a local law society and become involved in their advocacy events and training programs. Many law societies offer regular training and networking events for solicitors interested in pursuing advocacy careers. For example, the London Law Society offers a range of advocacy training courses and events, including a mentoring scheme for solicitors seeking pupillage.

Volunteer at a local Citizens Advice Bureau and gain experience in client interviews and representation. CABs are a valuable source of experience for solicitors interested in advocacy, as they offer the opportunity to work directly with clients, conduct interviews, and represent them in court. To find a local CAB, visit the Citizens Advice website.

Offer to assist other solicitors with their advocacy cases and shadow them in court. Many solicitors are happy to take on assistants or junior colleagues to help with their advocacy cases. By offering your services and shadowing experienced advocates in court, you can gain valuable hands-on experience and insight into the workings of the legal system.

Attend local courts and observe advocacy in action, taking note of techniques and strategies used by successful advocates. Court observation is a valuable way to learn about advocacy, and many courts are open to the public. By attending trials and hearings, you can observe firsthand the skills and strategies used by successful advocates, and develop a better understanding of the legal process.

Participate in mock trials and advocacy competitions, such as those offered by law schools or the Young Barristers' Committee. Mock trials and advocacy competitions offer a great opportunity to gain practical experience and develop your advocacy skills. Many law schools and legal organizations, such as the Young Barristers' Committee, offer regular mock trial and advocacy competitions that are open to solicitors.

Seek out mentoring and guidance from experienced advocates, either through a professional mentorship program or by networking with fellow solicitors who have successfully transitioned to the bar. Mentoring and guidance from experienced advocates can be a valuable resource for solicitors seeking to gain advocacy experience. Many organizations, such as the Bar Council, offer mentorship programs for solicitors seeking to transition to the bar. Alternatively, networking with fellow solicitors who have already made the transition can provide valuable insights and advice.

Join a legal advocacy group or charity, such as the Free Representation Unit or LawWorks, and gain hands-on experience in advocacy through their pro bono cases. Legal advocacy groups and charities, such as the Free Representation Unit and LawWorks, offer a valuable opportunity for solicitors to gain hands-on experience in advocacy through their pro bono cases. By joining such organizations, you can gain practical experience while also providing a valuable service to those in need of legal assistance.
Original post by 10111994
How can a qualified solicitor can gain advocacy experience relevant to pupillage applications? Please let me know any ideas. I am continuing to practise as a solicitor until I (hopefully) gain pupillage.

Several opportunities are limited to either students (e.g. the School Exclusion Project) or barristers (Advocate).

I cannot yet join an Inn and moot there as I need to have taken the Bar Transfer Test, which I hope to take once I have gained pupillage.

From what I can tell, the FRU is the only viable option available, but I haven't been able to sign up for that so far due to it being so oversubscribed/website crashing when applications opened.

As a qualified solicitor, you generally wouldn't apply for pupillage through the usual gateway cycle because you're in a very different situation to other pupillage candidates. You should ideally have some advocacy experience already, though I do know at least one solicitor who has transferred with little in the way advocacy experience, though you should also have litigation experience and be able to show a business case why you should be taken on by chambers (and, indeed, the one solicitor who I can think of who didn't have much advocacy experience did have extensive litigation experience and, I assume based on what I know of his position, would have managed to put a strong business case). This will obviously require you to have gained a certain amount of experience as a solicitor first, somewhere around 5 to 10 years PQE at least. So there is a particular reason why you seem to be going down the more traditional route and why you aren't approaching sets directly? How many years PQE are you, and is your experience so far in the same area as you hope to practise as a barrister?
Reply 3
Original post by Crazy Jamie
As a qualified solicitor, you generally wouldn't apply for pupillage through the usual gateway cycle because you're in a very different situation to other pupillage candidates. You should ideally have some advocacy experience already, though I do know at least one solicitor who has transferred with little in the way advocacy experience, though you should also have litigation experience and be able to show a business case why you should be taken on by chambers (and, indeed, the one solicitor who I can think of who didn't have much advocacy experience did have extensive litigation experience and, I assume based on what I know of his position, would have managed to put a strong business case). This will obviously require you to have gained a certain amount of experience as a solicitor first, somewhere around 5 to 10 years PQE at least. So there is a particular reason why you seem to be going down the more traditional route and why you aren't approaching sets directly? How many years PQE are you, and is your experience so far in the same area as you hope to practise as a barrister?

Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware that approaching sets directly was a realistic option for someone in my position, on which more detail is below.

I qualified into the litigation practice of my firm in 2020, having focused on litigation during my training contract since 2018. I will be applying to sets in the same practice area that I currently work in as a solicitor (in some cases, to sets that either our firm or our opponents have instructed) and I have attended several mini-pupillages in the past year. I have some limited advocacy experience e.g. in pro bono work, but I did not moot at university as I wasn't anticipating a career at the bar at that time. To my mind, my lack of advocacy experience is my biggest weak point and I am hoping to rectify that.

I'd be very grateful for your views on the best approach (including whether you think applying through the pupillage gateway is inappropriate and/or I should contact sets directly to ask about the best approach).
Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware that approaching sets directly was a realistic option for someone in my position, on which more detail is below.

I qualified into the litigation practice of my firm in 2020, having focused on litigation during my training contract since 2018. I will be applying to sets in the same practice area that I currently work in as a solicitor (in some cases, to sets that either our firm or our opponents have instructed) and I have attended several mini-pupillages in the past year. I have some limited advocacy experience e.g. in pro bono work, but I did not moot at university as I wasn't anticipating a career at the bar at that time. To my mind, my lack of advocacy experience is my biggest weak point and I am hoping to rectify that.

I'd be very grateful for your views on the best approach (including whether you think applying through the pupillage gateway is inappropriate and/or I should contact sets directly to ask about the best approach).

Hmm. I think you might be in some difficulty here. The first answer is no, I don't think it's realistic for you to approach sets directly. The reason why established solicitors approach sets directly is precisely because they're not in the same situation as other pupillage applicants. They will often have some practical advocacy experience at least, but even if they don't they will have extensive litigation experience, and will be able to establish a business case to take them on. Pupillage applicants cannot do that. They may have worked as a paralegal or an in house advocate or similar for a while, but they are simply not on the same level as an actual established lawyer. But you're in neither of those situations. You don't have the background of a pupillage applicant, but you're two years PQE. That means, with respect, you don't have practical advocacy experience, do not have substantial litigation experience, and won't be able to establish a business case.

So the answer is to make pupillage applicants if you're determined to do something now. There's no harm in it, though I don't know whether you have realistic prospects of getting anywhere. I do have some doubt, but in reality I just don't know. It could work out for you. The other option, though, is to knuckle down and establish your practice as a solicitor. Knowing where you want to end up you can manoeuvre yourself into the right situations to build up the right experience, whether in your own firm or a different one. Then in a few years (but probably more), you can be in a position to approach chambers directly. I assume you'd rather not do that because if you're looking at moving to the Bar so soon I suspect you're not happy with practising as a solicitor. But that in and of itself doesn't mean that you're going to be able to obtain pupillage, for the reasons that I've mentioned.

Hi! How are you? I just came across your post and wanted to say I’m in exactly the same boat! I qualified as a solicitor in 2021 and I am now applying for pupillage. I also lack advocacy experience and have had the same trouble with FRU.

How are you getting on with pupillage applications? I have managed to get two first round interviews but have mainly been bombarded with rejections!

I’m hoping to bolster up the advocacy side of my application in time for applications next year. I’m also wondering if it’s worth transferring to the bar and joining an Inn before the next round of applications next year, that way I can join an inn and participate in moots etc. have you considered this? My only concern is whether that would be ok to do whilst continuing to practise as a solicitor. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be….
Reply 6
Original post by Pizzapig
Hi! How are you? I just came across your post and wanted to say I’m in exactly the same boat! I qualified as a solicitor in 2021 and I am now applying for pupillage. I also lack advocacy experience and have had the same trouble with FRU.

How are you getting on with pupillage applications? I have managed to get two first round interviews but have mainly been bombarded with rejections!

I’m hoping to bolster up the advocacy side of my application in time for applications next year. I’m also wondering if it’s worth transferring to the bar and joining an Inn before the next round of applications next year, that way I can join an inn and participate in moots etc. have you considered this? My only concern is whether that would be ok to do whilst continuing to practise as a solicitor. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be….

Hi there - good to know I'm not alone! Two FRIs is good progress, hope they went well.

Notwithstanding Jamie's doubts above, I think my applications have been going reasonably well. I have had two first round interviews (and one final round so far) with two more FRIs booked. I have also had four rejections in the sift and two that I still haven't heard from. These are to commercial/commercial adjacent sets.

I'm not sure what you mean by "transferring to the bar" but I did briefly look into joining an Inn while still practising as a solicitor, and I didn't find a clear answer. If I don't get a pupillage this year I will look again in more detail - but please let me know if you find out in the meantime!
@Pizzapig @10111994

I did have doubts, albeit they were instinctive as I didn't really have anything to base them on, but I'm really glad that you're both finding success with your applications. Getting interviews shows that your applications are pretty good, which is great. Clearly sets are latching on to your practical experience and are not too concerned about the fact that you're looking to switch from one discipline to another relatively quickly. Which is what I would hope, but you can never be sure. That being the case, possible lack of advocacy experience aside, given that you've been involved in practical litigation for a decent period of time (at least relative to other applicants), you should have a good chance at putting together persuasive applications, and it looks like you've both managed to do that. Best of luck to both of you for the interviews; very much hope you're both successful.
If you don't mind me asking what made you want to switch from solicitor to the Bar? I applied for pupillage this year as a transferring foreign lawyer but didn't have much success, I'm now trying to understand some of the key differences between what it truly means to be a practicing solicitor vs barrister ( all of my legal experience has been outside of the UK and my practice has been a mix of the duties ordinarily performed by barristers and solicitors from what I can tell)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending