The Student Room Group

Sqe

I had a question about the sqe. If I complete the sqe exams and pass it and complete two years work experience I will technically be a qualified solicitor. However, if I go to apply to qualifies solicitor jobs at law firm, will I be at a disadvantage to those who have completed a tc? Or will that not matter since this is not a graduate job but rather a job as a qualified solicitor. Please helppp I’m very confused about this.
Original post by Confused2729372
I had a question about the sqe. If I complete the sqe exams and pass it and complete two years work experience I will technically be a qualified solicitor. However, if I go to apply to qualifies solicitor jobs at law firm, will I be at a disadvantage to those who have completed a tc? Or will that not matter since this is not a graduate job but rather a job as a qualified solicitor. Please helppp I’m very confused about this.

I'm going to watch this with interest as I'm currently doing the SQE with a view to getting QWE in-house but I haven't completely written off the thought of going into practice. I suspect though that it will be a huge disadvantage training in-house because of the lack of client contact and commercial experience of how a law firm makes its money (hence why I need to get comfortable myself being an in-house trainee!) In my old profession, accounting, industry to practice is virtually unheard of once qualified.
Reply 2
I've been hearing as well that we'll be at a huge disadvantage. Law first are trying to retain as many of their trainees as they can, so i doubt there will be many places for SQE qualified solicitors. Law firms are very old school, it'll take them a while to adjust to the SQE route, and accept that standard.

By the way, if you need any help with practicing any of the oral skills for SQE2 - advocacy or interviewing- I'm happy to help. I'll be listening to you and give feedback on how you've done and how you can improve, both the law and the skills part. I offer this as a service, so get in touch if interested.
Yes, all SQE has done is move the glut of people from trying to get a TC stage to newly qualified stage.

The City Consortium firms are putting their future trainees through a PGDL first (if they do not have an LLB) and then an SQE1 and 2 enhanced course and the exams and then a 2 year traditional training contract for example.

So of course doing SQE (and PGDL if no LLB which is no longer compulsory but firms want it) courses and exams is exactly what firms want, they also want someone who is fairly well trained over 2 years.
However there will be lower paid high street firms who may have no problems with lack of the normal TC but they will still want some good experience in work relevant to the NQ job
Original post by 17Student17
Yes, all SQE has done is move the glut of people from trying to get a TC stage to newly qualified stage.

The City Consortium firms are putting their future trainees through a PGDL first (if they do not have an LLB) and then an SQE1 and 2 enhanced course and the exams and then a 2 year traditional training contract for example.

So of course doing SQE (and PGDL if no LLB which is no longer compulsory but firms want it) courses and exams is exactly what firms want, they also want someone who is fairly well trained over 2 years.
However there will be lower paid high street firms who may have no problems with lack of the normal TC but they will still want some good experience in work relevant to the NQ job

So are you saying that through the new SQE route, it will be harder for someone who doesn’t traditionally do a tc will find it harder to find a job at a city firm?
Yes, all the big firms continue to have training contracts so it is best to continue to apply for those. However if you are 10 years of experience after qualifying in the relevant area and lots of clients etc it will cease to matter as the years go by. The point is that the 2 year of formal training trains people for the type of work at those firms so someone with 2 years of volunteering in an advice centre is not going to be as useful to a firm on qualification as someone who did 2 years in that firm and was giving training by that firm during those 2 years.
Original post by 17Student17
Yes, all the big firms continue to have training contracts so it is best to continue to apply for those. However if you are 10 years of experience after qualifying in the relevant area and lots of clients etc it will cease to matter as the years go by. The point is that the 2 year of formal training trains people for the type of work at those firms so someone with 2 years of volunteering in an advice centre is not going to be as useful to a firm on qualification as someone who did 2 years in that firm and was giving training by that firm during those 2 years.

But what if the qwe was good and in a relevant area
A training contract is QWE but usually with specific firm training, courses etc and usually in at least 4 6 month seats. If the QWE is just as good and relevant but not in a TC then it may be fine but big firms tend to hire people who trained at big firms. Even 40 years ago it was very very hard to move "up" to higher paid firms and much easier to move to the lower paid firms if you started in a higher paid one.

No one has a great idea of how this will pan out at present. The SRA has a video session I watched last week about QWE with speakers including from a law centre and from Freshfields which usually sets out how those places are confirming previous and current QWE which is worth watching and includes someone from the SRA and a 4th person - probably SRA - cannot remember now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending