The Student Room Group

Gold Residential for Vet/Animal?

Does anyone have any recommendations of residentials they did for Gold? I am interested in Veterinary Medicine in university but all the residentials I have seen are about £600+ and I don’t want to pay that much 😔. Thank you!!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by raiindrxp
Does anyone have any recommendations of residentials they did for Gold? I am interested in Veterinary Medicine in university but all the residentials I have seen are about £600+ and I don’t want to pay that much 😔. Thank you!!!!!

Doing a residential course confers absolutely no advantage when applying for vet school. What is important is the amount and variety of work experience. You’ll need as a minimum a couple of weeks in a practice plus lambing, dairy and equine. Since COVID the requirements have been lowered but because the interviews, SAQ’s SJT’s etc are all based on what you have learnt through your wex, the more you have of a good quality, the more you will be able to reflect on it and perform well during the application process. No only this, it will also give you an idea of what the job is really about ie not just cuddling puppies and kittens.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
Doing a residential course confers absolutely no advantage when applying for vet school. What is important is the amount and variety of work experience. You’ll need as a minimum a couple of weeks in a practice plus lambing, dairy and equine. Since COVID the requirements have been lowered but because the interviews, SAQ’s SJT’s etc are all based on what you have learnt through your wex, the more you have of a good quality, the more you will be able to reflect on it and perform well during the application process. No only this, it will also give you an idea of what the job is really about ie not just cuddling puppies and kittens.

I do have a couple weeks vet shadowing experience but I’m struggling to find experience regarding lambing/dariy/equine. Would you happen to have any tips to help me gain some? Also, the residential is purely just to complete my Gold DofE, I just thought it would be nice to complete something animal related. Also what is a SAQ/ SJT? I have never heard these terms before! Thank you very much!
Reply 3
I do have a couple weeks vet shadowing experience but I’m struggling to find experience regarding lambing/dariy/equine. Would you happen to have any tips to help me gain some? Also, the residential is purely just to complete my Gold DofE, I just thought it would be nice to complete something animal related. Also what is a SAQ/ SJT? I have never heard these terms before! Thank you very much!

https://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/next-generation/jobs-work-experience/lambing-experience/
The above is a good place to start for lambing work. Stables always need an extra pair of hands, so if I was you I would just phone up all of the clubs and yards in your area and explain that you are applying to vet school and would like some work experience. Dairy is a bit more complicated to find work experience if there are ‘t farms in your area, but often they actually have lodgings on site that you can use. You’ll just have to email, phone etc until you get lucky.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
https://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/next-generation/jobs-work-experience/lambing-experience/
The above is a good place to start for lambing work. Stables always need an extra pair of hands, so if I was you I would just phone up all of the clubs and yards in your area and explain that you are applying to vet school and would like some work experience. Dairy is a bit more complicated to find work experience if there are ‘t farms in your area, but often they actually have lodgings on site that you can use. You’ll just have to email, phone etc until you get lucky.

Wow I didn’t know about that website :0 Thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Wow I didn’t know about that website :0 Thank you so much!!

You’re welcome. Good luck

My daughter did do an animal based residential for Gold DofE but it was very much an extra. She spent a week at Dartmoor Zoo but it was something like the price you mentioned.
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp

Thank you, this is so helpful. Do you know what kind of experience is required?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending