The Student Room Group

RVC Pre-Vet Summer School 2023

Hi, I am currently a year 11 student who is sitting my GCSEs in May and June this year. I am hoping to apply to the PVSS programme which seems quite appealing in terms of what is included in the experience from the words of their website, and from the words of someone who attended.
However, I would like to hear more from people who have attended. Meanwhile, I am also afraid that my grades aren't good enough to get in. I am getting 6 9s (include maths, addmaths, chem), 2 8s ( include bio) and 1 7. Haven't got the eng lang result back and will be sitting Chinese which is my mother tongue. I would like to know what grades people have used to get in.
Many thanks to replies! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I did the 5 day residential RVC summer school in 2019 and happy to answer from what I can remember - can’t remember if that’s the same as what you’re going for. Your grades are fine, the “highest” requirements vet schools ask for is 7 in bio, chem, physics, English and maths and having at least five 7s overall, and even then most ask for less but it varies. Getting any higher than the minimum does not give you any more points, they only care for you to get the minimum, i.e. you getting 9s and 8s (which is great, keep it up!) doesn’t put you above someone getting just the minimum 7s (or less, I had 6s in maths and physics) so you are more than fine.
Original post by RambleAmple
Hi, I did the 5 day residential RVC summer school in 2019 and happy to answer from what I can remember - can’t remember if that’s the same as what you’re going for. Your grades are fine, the “highest” requirements vet schools ask for is 7 in bio, chem, physics, English and maths and having at least five 7s overall, and even then most ask for less but it varies. Getting any higher than the minimum does not give you any more points, they only care for you to get the minimum, i.e. you getting 9s and 8s (which is great, keep it up!) doesn’t put you above someone getting just the minimum 7s (or less, I had 6s in maths and physics) so you are more than fine.

Hi Thank you so much for the reply! I feel like what you went to might not be the same thing bc the one I am applying to lasts 2 weeks, and takes anyone who's over 16 (that is, most ppl apply with alevels). But still, what you said is very helpful and encouraging.
Think my major problem now is that I don't have any work experiences yet ( but I will try my best to do some). This is mainly due to my age and how so many farms/clinics closed down during covid and we just never had a lot clinics in the area. Did you do a lot of work experiences?
Thanks again for your reply :smile:
Original post by bjecdfh auh
Hi Thank you so much for the reply! I feel like what you went to might not be the same thing bc the one I am applying to lasts 2 weeks, and takes anyone who's over 16 (that is, most ppl apply with alevels). But still, what you said is very helpful and encouraging.
Think my major problem now is that I don't have any work experiences yet ( but I will try my best to do some). This is mainly due to my age and how so many farms/clinics closed down during covid and we just never had a lot clinics in the area. Did you do a lot of work experiences?
Thanks again for your reply :smile:

I had over 12 weeks work experience when I got in and that was with covid - a lot of outdoor places reopened for volunteers very early on (I did most of my time at a riding school) and by now covid isn’t a problem in any sector at all. Work experience is a non negotiable, you need to reach at least the minimum requirements or you’ll be rejected immediately, before covid it was 2 weeks clinical (in 2 different clinics ideally) and 2-4 weeks non-clinical, some requiring large animal, it was reduced during covid but it is climbing back up. Getting more shows more commitment but is also important because that is something you will definitely be asked about in the application process, it teaches you good vet skills they are interested in (communication skills, team work, empathy, organisation, determination etc) and it also gives you a flavour for if veterinary is actually for you. Some placements may be easier than others, I would definitely try to get lambing before you go to vet school as being up at 3am in the freezing cold on your 10th hour dealing with a lot of fluids and stressful situations with a potentially aggy farmer may make you question your drive - or you’ll love it, but finding this out before vet school is best. Look on the NSA website, VetWings or the Lambing Club on Facebook (or ask to see on your parents’), a lot of farmers are willing to provide free accommodation and meals to students so you don’t even have to be near a farm. I’d aim for a mix of small animals (try groomers, shelters, kennels, catteries), equine (riding schools, livery yards, racing yards, stud farms) and farm (lambing, dairy or beef, pigs, poultry), and you could try the odd ones with an exotics or for example I did an alpaca farm and was meant to do a bird of prey centre but it got closed down. Google is your friend with finding places and you have to be quite incessant, do batch emails and/or texts but also I do recommend calling or even going in person, especially for clinics. That being said, a lot of vet schools do have a cut off point for work experience start dates, i.e. for some it is 18 months or 3 years before the date you apply that they consider the work experience towards your application, so bear that in mind and also collect references as soon as your placement ends (I’d look up Surrey vet school reference guidelines as they’re the most strict).

The summer school may be different to the one I did but you will be doing basically the same things I did I imagine, we had a few mock lectures on things like livestock, guide dogs, police dogs, exotics. We did a group presentation on stuff, looked around the facilities, played with some sheep and cows, a lot of team building exercises and lectures on knowing the requirements of the vet schools. Personally I didn’t find it awfully useful, it was fun as it was free but everything you can look up on the unis website and they didn’t say anything more useful than TSR’s files with tips for interviews etc. I got like 7 hours worth of “work experience” from it, which I guess still adds something but it’s not exactly much. If you can go for free I’d go for it with applying as you won’t lose anything, but I 100% wouldn’t pay for it and I’d just go with more work experience, it’ll be much more worth it and I’d book up your holidays in advance seeing as you’re thinking about it early - I’d say ideally if you can try to aim for at least 2 weeks clinical, 2 weeks farm, 2 weeks smallies and 2 weeks equine you’d have quite a nice rounded experience, but obviously that’s just a guide.
I had over 12 weeks work experience when I got in and that was with covid - a lot of outdoor places reopened for volunteers very early on (I did most of my time at a riding school) and by now covid isn’t a problem in any sector at all. Work experience is a non negotiable, you need to reach at least the minimum requirements or you’ll be rejected immediately, before covid it was 2 weeks clinical (in 2 different clinics ideally) and 2-4 weeks non-clinical, some requiring large animal, it was reduced during covid but it is climbing back up. Getting more shows more commitment but is also important because that is something you will definitely be asked about in the application process, it teaches you good vet skills they are interested in (communication skills, team work, empathy, organisation, determination etc) and it also gives you a flavour for if veterinary is actually for you. Some placements may be easier than others, I would definitely try to get lambing before you go to vet school as being up at 3am in the freezing cold on your 10th hour dealing with a lot of fluids and stressful situations with a potentially aggy farmer may make you question your drive - or you’ll love it, but finding this out before vet school is best. Look on the NSA website, VetWings or the Lambing Club on Facebook (or ask to see on your parents’), a lot of farmers are willing to provide free accommodation and meals to students so you don’t even have to be near a farm. I’d aim for a mix of small animals (try groomers, shelters, kennels, catteries), equine (riding schools, livery yards, racing yards, stud farms) and farm (lambing, dairy or beef, pigs, poultry), and you could try the odd ones with an exotics or for example I did an alpaca farm and was meant to do a bird of prey centre but it got closed down. Google is your friend with finding places and you have to be quite incessant, do batch emails and/or texts but also I do recommend calling or even going in person, especially for clinics. That being said, a lot of vet schools do have a cut off point for work experience start dates, i.e. for some it is 18 months or 3 years before the date you apply that they consider the work experience towards your application, so bear that in mind and also collect references as soon as your placement ends (I’d look up Surrey vet school reference guidelines as they’re the most strict).

The summer school may be different to the one I did but you will be doing basically the same things I did I imagine, we had a few mock lectures on things like livestock, guide dogs, police dogs, exotics. We did a group presentation on stuff, looked around the facilities, played with some sheep and cows, a lot of team building exercises and lectures on knowing the requirements of the vet schools. Personally I didn’t find it awfully useful, it was fun as it was free but everything you can look up on the unis website and they didn’t say anything more useful than TSR’s files with tips for interviews etc. I got like 7 hours worth of “work experience” from it, which I guess still adds something but it’s not exactly much. If you can go for free I’d go for it with applying as you won’t lose anything, but I 100% wouldn’t pay for it and I’d just go with more work experience, it’ll be much more worth it and I’d book up your holidays in advance seeing as you’re thinking about it early - I’d say ideally if you can try to aim for at least 2 weeks clinical, 2 weeks farm, 2 weeks smallies and 2 weeks equine you’d have quite a nice rounded experience, but obviously that’s just a guide.

Thanks a lot! Apologies for the late reply.
I was going to get a week of lambing this Easter however my school stopped me from doing so due to safety reasons :frown: but it's okay! I will be getting lots of experiences during the summer. Thank you again for so much useful information:smile:
Thanks a lot! Apologies for the late reply.
I was going to get a week of lambing this Easter however my school stopped me from doing so due to safety reasons :frown: but it's okay! I will be getting lots of experiences during the summer. Thank you again for so much useful information:smile:

If you don’t mind me asking, how come your school gets involved in your placements? Mine had absolutely no input (except once when I asked to take a week off during term for a key placement which they agreed to), probably didn’t even know I was doing them and even if they did would have 0 controls
If you don’t mind me asking, how come your school gets involved in your placements? Mine had absolutely no input (except once when I asked to take a week off during term for a key placement which they agreed to), probably didn’t even know I was doing them and even if they did would have 0 controls

Your asking is completely fine:smile: We have a lady who is in charge of work placement. I sent the email addresses of the shepherd and the lady to each other in case the shepherd wanted extra info, also I am an international student so I was extra careful with this. However, the lady first cut my hours down to 10 from 30 which I couldn't understand as the gov.uk says it's allowed to work full-time during vacations. Then she insisted there are safety issues of me staying on the farm so it ultimately turned out that I am not going.
However I am trying to get other placements. We have the UoE small animals and equine hospitals here from which I am trying to get a placement even for just 1 day. I will also be doing some urban farm placement during the summer and volunteering with wildlife overseas, as well as the summer school if I get in. I will be looking for clinic placements in the summer or starting from September as I am moving and ig the clinics would quite like long term commitments, and I'm also doing my GCSEs so for now it's not the best timing. :smile: Hopefully my new school would be kindly allowing me to do some lambing next yr (or maybe I just shouldn't tell them all abt this)
Reply 7
Hi,
Thanks for all the information. Can I ask where you did the Pre-Vet Summer School? The RVC Pre-Vet Summer school which runs from the 30th July - 11th August says that it will qualify for 25 - 35 hours of work experience & it sounds like it covers a lot more relevant & applicable work experience than what you have indicated. I'm just trying to decide if it is worthwhile as it sounds really interesting & relevant on the website & I'm wondering if you did the RVC pre-vet summer school or a different one. Thanks.
Original post by RB00
Hi,
Thanks for all the information. Can I ask where you did the Pre-Vet Summer School? The RVC Pre-Vet Summer school which runs from the 30th July - 11th August says that it will qualify for 25 - 35 hours of work experience & it sounds like it covers a lot more relevant & applicable work experience than what you have indicated. I'm just trying to decide if it is worthwhile as it sounds really interesting & relevant on the website & I'm wondering if you did the RVC pre-vet summer school or a different one. Thanks.

Hey, the camp RampleAmple went to is different from the PVSS, it is another one organised by RVC (I suppose it's this one https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/rvc-is-open-for-all/news/the-sutton-trust-summer-school) . I'm applying this yr and apparently the PVSS is worthwhile if u have enough funds and u lack certain experiences (e.g. farm) and/or u just wish to see the RVC and make like-minded friends! U see, PVSS would be a nice experience but still most ppl get into vet skls without going to a summer school.
Reply 9
Hi, I am currently a year 11 student who is sitting my GCSEs in May and June this year. I am hoping to apply to the PVSS programme which seems quite appealing in terms of what is included in the experience from the words of their website, and from the words of someone who attended.
However, I would like to hear more from people who have attended. Meanwhile, I am also afraid that my grades aren't good enough to get in. I am getting 6 9s (include maths, addmaths, chem), 2 8s ( include bio) and 1 7. Haven't got the eng lang result back and will be sitting Chinese which is my mother tongue. I would like to know what grades people have used to get in.
Many thanks to replies! :smile:

Hi!! Just wondering, have you or anyone else you might know that is applying to this program gotten a response from RVC?? (I applied and I'm also a Year 11 student) :smile:
Reply 10
No but my friend emailed and they said the results r hopefully coming out the last week of may (which is next week). Also u could add me on insta to talk abt vet prep/we can keep each other updated :smile: i'm @yujiahe62

Original post by marti3x
Hi!! Just wondering, have you or anyone else you might know that is applying to this program gotten a response from RVC?? (I applied and I'm also a Year 11 student) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending