The Student Room Group

Alternative course offers if rejected for vet med

I’ve read somewhere that some places offer alternative courses to those who aren’t offered vet med. Can anyone tell me which universities do this and what they tend to offer please (and grades asked for)? Dreading not holding any offers by applying to vet med so would be great to know what other options might be given even if a year out might be a better plan…
Reply 1
Bristol and Nottingham I believe do this, not too sure about others but either way I would never take those. It’s normally the likes of biovet, zoology etc with standard grade requirements of whatever it says on their website. If your heart is in vet med a year out is the best thing you can do x
(edited 2 months ago)
I’m not sure how helpful I can be, but I applied to get med this year and so far have been rejected from RVC and Bristol, Bristol offered me various other courses, zoology, biology, biochemistry, there was like 10 on the list all with varying grades (all lower than vet med tho)
Reply 3
Thanks both
Original post by Loobylu76
I’ve read somewhere that some places offer alternative courses to those who aren’t offered vet med. Can anyone tell me which universities do this and what they tend to offer please (and grades asked for)? Dreading not holding any offers by applying to vet med so would be great to know what other options might be given even if a year out might be a better plan…
Hi! I applied in 2021 for vet med, didn't get any vet offers that time but got 2 alternative course offers from Bristol and Nottingham for a medical science course (I forgot which one) and animal science respectively. They do have lower requirements than vet med courses but I wouldn’t say they are very much lower (AAB for the medical sci course and ABC/BBB for animal science, but I might be wrong). I am doing the animal science course now at notts and applied for grad entry vet med, and honestly I suggest that taking a year out is probably better. Grad entry vet med is as or much more competitive as the standard 5 year entry, finances comes to another concern as you can't do student loans with the fees for your second degree, and it will take longer to graduate as a vet. Luckily, I got a lot of animal handling opportunities throughout my course and it really helped me prepare to start vet school after this degree. It has been good but I would still recommend you to take a year out instead of doing an extra degree.
Reply 5
Original post by jenniferrr20821
Hi! I applied in 2021 for vet med, didn't get any vet offers that time but got 2 alternative course offers from Bristol and Nottingham for a medical science course (I forgot which one) and animal science respectively. They do have lower requirements than vet med courses but I wouldn’t say they are very much lower (AAB for the medical sci course and ABC/BBB for animal science, but I might be wrong). I am doing the animal science course now at notts and applied for grad entry vet med, and honestly I suggest that taking a year out is probably better. Grad entry vet med is as or much more competitive as the standard 5 year entry, finances comes to another concern as you can't do student loans with the fees for your second degree, and it will take longer to graduate as a vet. Luckily, I got a lot of animal handling opportunities throughout my course and it really helped me prepare to start vet school after this degree. It has been good but I would still recommend you to take a year out instead of doing an extra degree.
Thank you, really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending