The Student Room Group

Medicine 2024 Application

I am 24 years old and have previously done a degree in which i got a 2:2 (one percent away from 2:1) (bad luck) but anyways i have decided i want to study medicine. I did study abroad for a bit but it was not the route i would like to continue as i found it harder being so far away from family. im looking into appyling for med in the UK. when i was in college i did non science alvels and achieved grade b and c in them. I know all this is not good enough for medicine, so i am doing my bio and chem alevel privatley this year hoping for an A in both. Alongside this i have been working as a HCA bank and have done allot of work experience. i wanted some help in regards of what unis i would have the best chance at being successful at. I am planning on doing my UCAT later this summer aswell. Does anyone know which unis would be more likely to accept me, i want to apply strategically.
Reply 1
Original post by Findingaway
I am 24 years old and have previously done a degree in which i got a 2:2 (one percent away from 2:1) (bad luck) but anyways i have decided i want to study medicine. I did study abroad for a bit but it was not the route i would like to continue as i found it harder being so far away from family. im looking into appyling for med in the UK. when i was in college i did non science alvels and achieved grade b and c in them. I know all this is not good enough for medicine, so i am doing my bio and chem alevel privatley this year hoping for an A in both. Alongside this i have been working as a HCA bank and have done allot of work experience. i wanted some help in regards of what unis i would have the best chance at being successful at. I am planning on doing my UCAT later this summer aswell. Does anyone know which unis would be more likely to accept me, i want to apply strategically.

is standard entry
Reply 2

There is only Nottingham GEM that will consider a 2:2 alone, or if you do a MSc, you can add Warwick, Swansea, Ulster and SGUL A101 courses
A levels will add nothing to your chances at any of these, as they all rank on GAMSAT and do not look at A levels.
If you have a degree, you cannot use A levels alone as qualifications for entry to medicine
Original post by GANFYD
There is only Nottingham GEM that will consider a 2:2 alone, or if you do a MSc, you can add Warwick, Swansea, Ulster and SGUL A101 courses
A levels will add nothing to your chances at any of these, as they all rank on GAMSAT and do not look at A levels.
If you have a degree, you cannot use A levels alone as qualifications for entry to medicine

Can’t I apply with just my gsces and alevel qualifications instead of using my degree. Let’s say I do get the As in bio and chem . Then just apply as undergraduate with alevel grades and ucat instead of degree?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Can’t I apply with just my gsces and alevel qualifications instead of using my degree. Let’s say I do get the As in bio and chem . Then just apply as undergraduate with alevel grades and ucat instead of degree?

Pretty sure you can't for an A101 course, which is the 4 year course. However if you tried for A100 (5 years) then you can only thing is you won't receive any funding for this so will have to find roughly £10000 a year just for the course itself.
Reply 5

Even most A100 courses will not ignore your degree.
Exeter and Plymouth A100 select using GAMSAT for grads/mature non-grads, so would ignore all your qualifications and just use your GAMSAT score to shortlist, I think.
Other than that, if you have done a degree, it needs to be a 2:1, unless you can get them to agree ExCircs. Med schools usually use your highest qualification to meet requirements and will not ignore it favour of lower ones
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
Right so I need to do well in the gamsat I guess and then apply to unis who focus on gamsat . I’ll contact the unis and see what they say in my situation and move from that I guess.

Original post by GANFYD
Even most A100 courses will not ignore your degree.
Exeter and Plymouth A100 select using GAMSAT for grads/mature non-grads, so would ignore all your qualifications and just use your GAMSAT score to shortlist, I think.
Other than that, if you have done a degree, it needs to be a 2:1, unless you can get them to agree ExCircs. Med schools usually use your highest qualification to meet requirements and will not ignore it favour of lower ones
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
Reply 7
Right so I need to do well in the gamsat I guess and then apply to unis who focus on gamsat . I’ll contact the unis and see what they say in my situation and move from that I guess.

GAMSAT is degree level science, so many places are happy you would cope with the course content if you perform well enough in it - but I do not think it is an easy exam, so make sure you look into prep fully.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending