The Student Room Group

How demanding is CIMA alongside a full time job?

I am going to be starting a finance grad job this year after I graduate, and I am required to do CIMA as a part of the grad scheme. I'm trying to figure out whether commuting to work would be possible (each way its about 2 hours door-to-door, so 4 hours commute in total), or if I should just move to my job for a couple years. As I will be studying for CIMA, roughly does anyone know how much study time this would be each week?

I'm worried that commuting to work would mean I have no time to study if CIMA is demanding, and perhaps is worth the sacrifice of having to rent for couple years.

Thanks!
I suppose this entirely depends on how easy it is for you to pick up Accounts? CIMA is Management Accounting so in my (very personal) opinion is easier to get to grips with than Financial Accounting although I suppose each to their own.
I only began the second year as the first year was excluded as I had AAT Final so was exempt.
Is your undergrad degree in Accounting or have you done any management accounting in the past?
If its easy enough to move closer then I would.
Reply 2
Original post by Sleepysophie18
I suppose this entirely depends on how easy it is for you to pick up Accounts? CIMA is Management Accounting so in my (very personal) opinion is easier to get to grips with than Financial Accounting although I suppose each to their own.
I only began the second year as the first year was excluded as I had AAT Final so was exempt.
Is your undergrad degree in Accounting or have you done any management accounting in the past?
If its easy enough to move closer then I would.

Thank you for your reply! I get you, I guess it is dependent to each individual but from what you (and many others) have said, CIMA is supposedly somewhat easier to wrap your head around!
My degree is in Economics, I believe I get exemptions from certificate level, and I did a finance placement for my sandwich year :smile: It's just that weigh up of whether I'll be motivated enough to still study after a long commute for at least 3 days each week!
It also depends on how energetic and motivated you are too then maybe?
I am a mature student and I am exhausted at the end of a day of full time work but looking back to my 20s I actually loved commuting (especially in my car) I got loads of time to myself and listened to music and things I was interested in. Now there are the added bonus of podcasts so you can literally absorb yourself into whatever you like!
Once you have a family and commitments you start to put them first. If you can use the commute time wisely then do so even if it’s just for time for yourself. Having said all that, there are online courses for CIMA so distance learning is available - there are other options.

I also looked at a website which suggested 65 -80 hours study time for certificate level exams (x4) but I feel that may be excessive?! Especially if you have some firm grounding in the fundamentals.

Good luck with it. I didn’t actually finish as life took over and before I knew it I was 45! Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending