The Student Room Group

Marketing or business management and admin degree

Hello, I’m not sure which degree will be more stable and demanded in the work force. I’m quite an adaptable person and will come to like any options I pick. In the workforce which degree is more hirable? And what kind of jobs and pay will I receive if I choose either one?
Original post by userXi
Hello, I’m not sure which degree will be more stable and demanded in the work force. I’m quite an adaptable person and will come to like any options I pick. In the workforce which degree is more hirable? And what kind of jobs and pay will I receive if I choose either one?

In the workforce which degree is more hirable?
As far as I know, neither. Neither degrees are required to go into business or marketing, and neither are required by law in any country to go into either fields. In fact, if you studied one degree, you can go into the other field all the same.
As far as I know, the job market for either fields tend to value experience and skills more than qualifications across the globe. Waving your degree at them is like telling them you have nothing to show for.
Once you graduate, you would be treated the same as any other newbie on the block, even if everyone else just have high school level qualifications (I presume you're not based in the UK by the way you're phrasing the question).

And what kind of jobs and pay will I receive if I choose either one?
The way this question is phrased almost implies the following:

You're entitled to a job once you have a degree - never the case.

You're entitled to a level of pay once you have a degree - definitely never the case.

If the above is true, then note very carefully that businesses hire you on the basis of what you bring to the table, not how flashy your qualifications are. If you can't bring any value to the company or generate any business, then you're just an expense and companies don't pay for you to look flashy.

What determines your pay is the job that you have. What determines whether you can get the job is what you bring to the table.

As business and marketing degrees aren't required for any specific line of work (other than academic research in their respective fields), you should be able to get into any of the following that generally don't require specific qualifications:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

There are other areas, but it would depend on the individual country you're from and what the requirements are for those areas or careers.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As far as I know, neither. Neither degrees are required to go into business or marketing, and neither are required by law in any country to go into either fields. In fact, if you studied one degree, you can go into the other field all the same.
As far as I know, the job market for either fields tend to value experience and skills more than qualifications across the globe. Waving your degree at them is like telling them you have nothing to show for.
Once you graduate, you would be treated the same as any other newbie on the block, even if everyone else just have high school level qualifications (I presume you're not based in the UK by the way you're phrasing the question).

You're entitled to a level of pay once you have a degree - definitely never the case.

If the above is true, then note very carefully that businesses hire you on the basis of what you bring to the table, not how flashy your qualifications are. If you can't bring any value to the company or generate any business, then you're just an expense and companies don't pay for you to look flashy.

What determines your pay is the job that you have. What determines whether you can get the job is what you bring to the table.

As business and marketing degrees aren't required for any specific line of work (other than academic research in their respective fields), you should be able to get into any of the following that generally don't require specific qualifications:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

IT roles

Most areas of property

Music (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

There are other areas, but it would depend on the individual country you're from and what the requirements are for those areas or careers.

Hiya, thanks for the reply. Though, I do come from the UK. So I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I don’t have much experience with jobs related to marketing and business. Though if it helps for you to understand my situation the only experience I’ve got as a sixteen year old is working at a restaurant for orders on telephone and in person, volunteering to be a Chinese assistant for adults and children, also mentoring in a primary school furthermore I also have 20 hours of work experience online and I am going to another 9 hours worth of business and admin online work experience from spec savers in 1-2 weeks. I don’t know if this is important but I also do student union in school and debate. How can I increase my chances in gaining more experience and getting internships. Do you have any websites in mind? And thank you again for the reply and sorry in advance for asking so many questions.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

IT roles

Most areas of property

Music (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Also, sorry I forgot to ask. What is the job market like for accounting. Does the same apply to accounting as well?
how are either of these university degrees
Original post by userXi
Hiya, thanks for the reply. Though, I do come from the UK. So I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I don’t have much experience with jobs related to marketing and business. Though if it helps for you to understand my situation the only experience I’ve got as a sixteen year old is working at a restaurant for orders on telephone and in person, volunteering to be a Chinese assistant for adults and children, also mentoring in a primary school furthermore I also have 20 hours of work experience online and I am going to another 9 hours worth of business and admin online work experience from spec savers in 1-2 weeks. I don’t know if this is important but I also do student union in school and debate. How can I increase my chances in gaining more experience and getting internships. Do you have any websites in mind? And thank you again for the reply and sorry in advance for asking so many questions.

the only experience I’ve got as a sixteen year old is working at a restaurant for orders on telephone and in person, volunteering to be a Chinese assistant for adults and children, also mentoring in a primary school
It's nice that you did all of these, but they are not directly relevant. You should get good character references from these places though.
These would be great if you want to work in restaurants, translation, social work, or work in primary schools.

I also have 20 hours of work experience online and I am going to another 9 hours worth of business and admin online work experience from spec savers in 1-2 weeks
Possibly relevant, but there is little to work with. It's a good start though.

I don’t know if this is important but I also do student union in school and debate.
It's not directly relevant. However, it's a nice talking point when interviewers ask you about your character and what you do outside of school. Unless you were in a specific role in the club (e.g. treasurer, club leader, promoter, etc.) showing what you did, it's not going to be much of a talking point.

How can I increase my chances in gaining more experience and getting internships. Do you have any websites in mind?
I don't have any particular website in mind, and any website that do advertise internships tend to go very quickly.
I would recommend networking as widely as possible, and see if you know anyone relatively close (e.g. a friend or the parent of a close friend) who would be able to put in a good word for you.

I would also recommend reading up the job profiles for the specific roles in business and marketing that you're interested in, should you be interested in these areas:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-sector/business-consulting-and-management
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-sector/marketing-advertising-and-pr
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-categories/business-and-finance
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sales-marketing/job-profiles
https://www.life-pilot.co.uk/job-sectors/sales-marketing/job-profiles

If you do get any qualification for marketing, then I recommend looking into those by CIM since they're internationally recognised. The CMI is recognised for management, although I don't see it many people having them.
Original post by userXi
Also, sorry I forgot to ask. What is the job market like for accounting. Does the same apply to accounting as well?

Pretty much the same, but I would argue it's a lot more competitive (that's just me though).

The key for accounting as opposed to business in general or marketing, is that a professional accounting qualification is mandatory if you want to qualify as an accountant. The typical entry requirements for such qualification is a level 3 qualification (e.g. BTEC, A Level, Access, AAT Level 3, etc.). at high enough grades along with good GCSE results in 5 different subjects.
Whilst you can do an accounting degree to get further exemptions from specific papers in these professional qualifications, it's usually a lot quicker and cheaper to just do the professional qualification right after A Levels with an accounting firm or whilst you are working in an accounting role. You would need 3 years' recognised professional work experience in order to fully qualify under the UK accounting qualifications.
The more popular and effective route would be to do an accounting apprenticeship that qualifies you in one of the main accounting qualifications e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ACA, CAI, ICAS, AIA, etc. ACCA, ACA, and CIMA tend to be the most popular, but note that CIMA only allows you to work in management accounting whereas the others allow you to work in other areas. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_qualified_accountants#Recognised_bodies_for_restricted_work

If you want to work as an accountant in another country, then it gets tricky because it would depend on the local regulations for accountants in that particular country and not all qualifications are recognised abroad e.g. ACCA is recognised in 179 countries (the figure can vary depending on whether individual countries no longer recognise it or not and this can vary from year to year), but not in the US or Canada; to work in some countries with ACA for example, you would need to do further work experience after converting your qualification to the local equivalent.

See the following for job profiles in accounting:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-sector/accountancy-banking-and-finance
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-categories/business-and-finance
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/finance-accounting/job-profiles
https://www.life-pilot.co.uk/job-sectors/finance-accounting/job-profiles
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
how are either of these university degrees

If you have done business studies A Level, then a management degree is like a regurgitation of Business Studies.

I can't comment much on the marketing degrees, but from what I know about it it's pretty academic and involves little practical knowledge e.g. what is marketing, how to carry out marketing research, how can businesses use marketing to full effect; as opposed to say how to set up marketing campaigns and monitor the effectivness of ads on Facebook, how to sell on social media, what to include in a sales letter to improve conversion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending