The Student Room Group

Slightly more mature student wanting to teach!

Long story short, I am TA and I love my job but the more time I spend in a classroom, the more I want to teach.

I have 9 GCSE's but not in Maths :frown: so I need to study my Maths again and get a 4 or above.
Will enrol on that shortly.

I am 37 with a family and to get a degree I can take two routes : Open university (up to 6 years!) or go to UNI full time and it will take 3 years.

Anyone else in the same or a similar boat. I am at a point in my life where I know what I want to do but the route into it is very long.

Any one out there feeling my pain?
Holly x
Reply 1
I did my teacher training at 33/34. and there were two people in their 40s doing it with me. If it's a route you're set on, go for it, honestly
Original post by HollyJ1986
Long story short, I am TA and I love my job but the more time I spend in a classroom, the more I want to teach.

I have 9 GCSE's but not in Maths :frown: so I need to study my Maths again and get a 4 or above.
Will enrol on that shortly.

I am 37 with a family and to get a degree I can take two routes : Open university (up to 6 years!) or go to UNI full time and it will take 3 years.

Anyone else in the same or a similar boat. I am at a point in my life where I know what I want to do but the route into it is very long.

Any one out there feeling my pain?
Holly x

I'd just note that you can do a degree at full-time equivalent with the OU (i.e. graduate in 3 years). However as students normally can't get a maintenance loan studying with the OU, many are working alongside their studies and thus study part-time as it's more practical for balancing their work and study.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
I did my teacher training at 33/34. and there were two people in their 40s doing it with me. If it's a route you're set on, go for it, honestly

That is so good to hear. I know everyone complains about the workload and I see it first hand but I figure by the time I'm qualified my daughter will be starting secondary school. I do feel it takes a certain person to want to teach in the first place haha! We must be crazy! What route did you take?
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I'd just note that you can do a degree at full-time equivalent with the OU (i.e. graduate in 3 years). However as students normally can't get a maintenance loan studying with the OU, many are working alongside their studies and thus study part-time as it's more practical for balancing their work and study.

The only thing that puts me off with OU is the fact you can't do the degree with QTS. You would have to get that after. I think working and studying the degree full time would be a killer unless I could work part time maybe. It would suit my lifestyle to learn through OU what with having a child and family though.
Reply 5
That is so good to hear. I know everyone complains about the workload and I see it first hand but I figure by the time I'm qualified my daughter will be starting secondary school. I do feel it takes a certain person to want to teach in the first place haha! We must be crazy! What route did you take?

I already held 3 degrees so I went straight to a university-based PGCE. The workload is big and the job quite demanding but it's not unmanageable and with a good school and good mentor you will be absolutely fine.

Full disclosure though, I went back to HE directly after completing the PGCE, for a few reasons but mainly because the money was a lot better. I did the PGCE with the career a secondary consideration - I mainly wanted to learn how to be a more effective teacher.
The only thing that puts me off with OU is the fact you can't do the degree with QTS. You would have to get that after. I think working and studying the degree full time would be a killer unless I could work part time maybe. It would suit my lifestyle to learn through OU what with having a child and family though.

If you want to teach at secondary level the QTS comes after you complete your degree anyway as I understand, since you can only get QTS for secondary teaching from a PGCE.

If you wanted to teach primary though then that's a very valid consideration I imagine!
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
If you want to teach at secondary level the QTS comes after you complete your degree anyway as I understand, since you can only get QTS for secondary teaching from a PGCE.

If you wanted to teach primary though then that's a very valid consideration I imagine!

You can get QTS without a PGCE in an 'assessment only' route, done on the job, but there are a lot of caveats and you usually would need to have been working as an unqualified teacher rather than a TA.

Edit: I actually trained in a department with a non-PGCE candidate and she was very good (and got QTS).
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
You can get QTS without a PGCE in an 'assessment only' route, done on the job, but there are a lot of caveats and you usually would need to have been working as an unqualified teacher rather than a TA.

Edit: I actually trained in a department with a non-PGCE candidate and she was very good (and got QTS).

Thanks, that's good to know for future reference! Also might be something for the OP to maybe explore alongside part-time OU study :smile:
Do you want to teach primary or would you be doing a degree with a view to completing a secondary PGCE?

If your school is supportive, it wouldn't hurt to have a chat and see if there's anything they could do to help you achieve this. The Assessment Only route is a pain in the neck, and I wouldn't recommend it except to unqualified teachers working in a set of very specific circumstances, but it may be that your school offers a Schools Direct route or can put you in touch with somewhere that does. Alternatively, if there are opportunities in your school for HLTA work perhaps they could support you to meet the necessary standards. Being a HLTA should give you some experience of whole class management and a slightly better income too, which would be a bonus if you wanted to complete a degree part-time.

Look at your local brick unis as well as the OU. Even if full-time study isn't feasible (and it might be more realistic than you think - see if you can track down any student parents and have a chat about their experience) some universities do offer part-time routes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending