The Student Room Group

Significant figures help

Hey, just having a significant figures crisis..
In 56027, why is the 0 significant, but in 0.0046 the 0s after the decimal point aren't significant? Surely they are just both place holders?
Hi there are a few simple rules so:

in 56027 0 is significant figure as zeros between non-zero digits are significant (this case the zero is in-between 6 and 2 which are non-zero digits so zero becomes a significant figure)

in 0.0046 the 0 is not a significant figure as : zeros on the right of a decimal point and to the left of a non-zero digit are not significant but also remember that trailing zeros are only significant if the if a non-zero digit before but in this case before our trailing zero there is no non-zero digit so the 0 in this case is not significant

p.s (this may seem confusing sorry its how i have learnt it in school try watch on yt video to explain it better)
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Hey, just having a significant figures crisis..
In 56027, why is the 0 significant, but in 0.0046 the 0s after the decimal point aren't significant? Surely they are just both place holders?

Hi!

I wanted to clarify it but thought it would be better to share the PDF with you. Look at it, and this might make sense to you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Meheraj
Hi!

I wanted to clarify it but thought it would be better to share the PDF with you. Look at it, and this might make sense to you.

That's awesome, thank you so much! Xx
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
That's awesome, thank you so much! Xx

No worries! xx
Don't worry, even I have occaisional brain blips on sig figs, after years of working as an engineer and several spells at uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Don't worry, even I have occaisional brain blips on sig figs, after years of working as an engineer and several spells at uni.

Same here. :biggrin: I did them in high school and even before starting university. Still, I become confused when I see them out of the blue. :ashamed:

Quick Reply

Latest