The Student Room Group

Please help me understand?

My mind is completely blanking on the this question. Could someone attempt to explain how to do this as if talking to a simpleton (me)

A third similar laser emits light with intensity 1.5Wm^-2
Work out the amplitude of the light.

It is the sequel to this

One laser emits light that has amplitude 200Vm^-1 and intensity 0.26Wm^-2
Another laser emits light that has amplitude 1 ,300Vm^-1
In all other respects it is identical.
And the answer to this is 0.59Wm^-2
Original post by TheKidAtTheBack
My mind is completely blanking on the this question. Could someone attempt to explain how to do this as if talking to a simpleton (me)

A third similar laser emits light with intensity 1.5Wm^-2
Work out the amplitude of the light.

It is the sequel to this

One laser emits light that has amplitude 200Vm^-1 and intensity 0.26Wm^-2
Another laser emits light that has amplitude 1 ,300Vm^-1
In all other respects it is identical.
And the answer to this is 0.59Wm^-2

Not sure what is it that you don’t understand.
How you work out the intensity using info from “One laser emits light that has amplitude 200Vm^-1 and intensity 0.26Wm^-2” is also how you work out the amplitude for “A third similar laser emits light with intensity 1.5Wm^-2” based on the relationship: intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Did you write more than 2 significant figures for the answer?
Original post by Eimmanuel
Not sure what is it that you don’t understand.
How you work out the intensity using info from “One laser emits light that has amplitude 200Vm^-1 and intensity 0.26Wm^-2” is also how you work out the amplitude for “A third similar laser emits light with intensity 1.5Wm^-2” based on the relationship: intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Did you write more than 2 significant figures for the answer?

Thats the problem; I cant remember how i did the original

I have been staring at this question and threads of how to work out the prequel question to this one for nearly three hours now and I am completely blanking on how I do this. It's really frustrating me because I know it's probably stupidly simple, but I just can't for the life of me figure it out

I have been staring at this question and threads of how to work out the prequel question to this one for nearly three hours now and I am completely blanking on how I do this. It's really frustrating me because I know it's probably stupidly simple, but I just can't for the life of me figure it out

In post #2, I have already stated: " intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude." This is what you need to solve the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest