The Student Room Group

Vet med work experience which one is better

I recently found a work experience opportunity on a dairy farm (buffalo dairy) and one at a cattle genetics+reproduction centre. They're both pretty far so I can only choose one to do. I feel like reproduction and genetics is a really unique and fun opportunity, but dairy farm is also pretty important. Which one should I choose?
As someone who’s just been through the vet med application process, although the genetics one is a great talking point at interviews, unis LOVE to grill you on dairy at interviews so it would be really really beneficial.
Dairy is something a lot of people overlook if they aren’t from an agricultural background and so if you can get some WEX for dairy it would really benefit you at interviews. You will get some insight into the reproductive side at a dairy farm anyway so I think honestly do that as long term it’s more helpful
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
As someone who’s just been through the vet med application process, although the genetics one is a great talking point at interviews, unis LOVE to grill you on dairy at interviews so it would be really really beneficial.
Dairy is something a lot of people overlook if they aren’t from an agricultural background and so if you can get some WEX for dairy it would really benefit you at interviews. You will get some insight into the reproductive side at a dairy farm anyway so I think honestly do that as long term it’s more helpful

Thank you, that makes sense. Can dairy be replaced by goat dairy? What are some of the things I should be learning/looking out for when doing dairy placement?
Original post by Qldjdj
Thank you, that makes sense. Can dairy be replaced by goat dairy? What are some of the things I should be learning/looking out for when doing dairy placement?

If it’s between cattle dairy and goat dairy, do cattle dairy it will be far more beneficial.
Look into the ethical issues such as culling, be aware of the financial implications and how these animals are livestock so farmers don’t have endless money to spend like someone would a pet. Consider things like mastitis and overall herd health. Farmers have a wealth of knowledge passed down generation to generation, they want to share that with you if you are open to it. Go in with an open mind and ask non judgmental questions to learn as much as you can. Dairy is often quite brutal in all honesty but being mindful and willing to learn is key!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending