The Student Room Group

vet med as master's degree

Hi everyone! I am in year 12 doing international alevels and I want to go to any veterinary medicine unis in the UK.

I am planning to get all A*s in my alevel subjects(biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) but since I messed up my IGCSEs, I think it would be difficult to get accepted for vet med.

so, I am thinking abt doing animal science, zoology or vet nursing for my bachelor's degree and do vet med degree afterwards. Is there anyone that is doing that or is it hard?
You absolutely can do that ! But it will be very expensive but as long as you have done lots of research then it is a plausible route to go into for vetmed :smile:
Graduate entry vet med is even more competitive than undergrad. You won't qualify for a student finance fee loan for vet med as a second degree so you need to be able to afford the 5 x tuition fee. Are you a uk student?
If you really are going to get A*s then you might be better off taking a gap year and applying with grades in hand a more work experience. Do you have mitigating circumstances as to why your igcse grades were low?
What do you mean by ‘messed up’? GCSEs are very uni dependent but if you have met the minimum you may be better just getting all A*s then taking a gap year and applying with your completed a levels as unis will take those and as long as your GCSEs are the minim they won’t mind x
Original post by seleneee
Hi everyone! I am in year 12 doing international alevels and I want to go to any veterinary medicine unis in the UK.
I am planning to get all A*s in my alevel subjects(biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) but since I messed up my IGCSEs, I think it would be difficult to get accepted for vet med.
so, I am thinking abt doing animal science, zoology or vet nursing for my bachelor's degree and do vet med degree afterwards. Is there anyone that is doing that or is it hard?

Hi there!

I'm a current zoology student at the University of Plymouth and, although I don't know much about veterinary courses, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about zoology/related courses! :smile:

Best of luck!

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by ReadingMum
Graduate entry vet med is even more competitive than undergrad. You won't qualify for a student finance fee loan for vet med as a second degree so you need to be able to afford the 5 x tuition fee. Are you a uk student?
If you really are going to get A*s then you might be better off taking a gap year and applying with grades in hand a more work experience. Do you have mitigating circumstances as to why your igcse grades were low?
Hi, thank you for your answer.
I am going to a british school in Spain and I do not have any excuses with my grades in igcse. I was just not studying as hard as I should've been. I did not know that graduate entry was more competitive! then I should just do my best doing my alevels. thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by ALEreapp
What do you mean by ‘messed up’? GCSEs are very uni dependent but if you have met the minimum you may be better just getting all A*s then taking a gap year and applying with your completed a levels as unis will take those and as long as your GCSEs are the minim they won’t mind x
I don't think they meet the minimum as I have two 8s, two 7s, one 6, and three 5s. also my eng lit grade was 6 and eng lang 5 which again do not meet the entry requirements.. I might do a resit tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending