The Student Room Group

Maths Revision

During my study sessions (which are around 7-8 hours) I feel like I still don't learn anything and am super stressed with exams in 2 months
Are there any recommendations for what I should do?
Right now I feel like I don't have a good understanding of the fundamentals so I was going through the entire TLmaths playlist for mechanics whilst doing the questions which took a bit of time. Also some past exam questions i still cannot understand after doing topic questions which is seriously demotivating
It would be helpful if you can try describe which topic you are not feeling comfortable with.
TSR is great for asking specific problems, not quite good at therapy.

That said, studying for 7-8 hours per day seems too much. I doubt you are going to get any fruitful result beyond, IDK, an hour or two. (At least that's the case for me - any A-Level math problem (including MAT/STEP) that takes beyond half an hour without progress often means I'm probably not going to get them just by staring at it - I'll go for a walk instead)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tonyiptony
It would be helpful if you can try describe which topic you are not feeling comfortable with.
TSR is great for asking specific problems, not quite good at therapy.

That said, studying for 7-8 hours per day seems too much. I doubt you are going to get any fruitful result beyond, IDK, an hour or two. (At least that's the case for me - any A-Level math problem (including MAT/STEP) that takes beyond half an hour without progress often means I'm probably not going to get them just by staring at it - I'll go for a walk instead)

I asked for specific revision advice in this case, not trying to vent out either. Also i need an A for maths and have been getting around Cs/Bs in my Pure mocks so it feels like im forced to do this amount
Original post by Bennayy
I asked for specific revision advice in this case, not trying to vent out either. Also i need an A for maths and have been getting around Cs/Bs in my Pure mocks so it feels like im forced to do this amount

Okay, a few things:

- Have you talked with your teacher? Genuinely, your teacher would help more than strangers on the internet.
- There is no "one golden formula" as to how to study. That said, studying for 8 hours per day is way too much.
- When I say "go for a walk", it's actually useful because you might come back to a problem you've stuck with fresh eyes. Often times ideas for solutions come passively.

Now, some specifics:
- I'd say the number one thing people get stuck with maths is simply not being able to read carefully. Yes, maths is secretly a reading test. Write down (not in your brain) what is given, write down (again not in your brain) what you need to find, rephrase them mathematically, and the main bulk of the solution often pops out quite nicely.
- TSR generally is good for asking specific maths problems. Studying tips is not usually the focus here.
- I'm not the best person to ask when time is running short. I never cram, because I can't - I tend to do my studies well before, and clear every bit of confusion way before exam time. That said, are you screwed? No! You just need to ask someone else that is not TSR.
Okay that does help thank you

Quick Reply

Latest