The Student Room Group

Jieay's Year 13 GYG - Actuarial Science applicant (2023/2024)

Decided to start one of these as I need some extra motivation for A-Levels and I have been slacking on revision recently.

Looking to apply for Actuarial Science (2024 entry), I will be applying to:
-UEA (offer received)
-York (offer received)
-Kent (offer received)
-Essex (offer received)
-Leicester (offer received)

The A-levels I'm taking are:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-EPQ (Complete)

Predicted grades: ABB

Goals:
Final A-Level grades of AAA,
Get into university.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about A-levels and I'd gladly accept any relevant feedback or advice!

(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jieay20
Decided to start one of these as I need some extra motivation for A-Levels and I have been slacking on revision recently.

Looking to apply for Actuarial Science (2024 entry), I will be applying to:
-UEA
-York
-Kent
-Essex
-Leicester

The A-levels I'm taking are:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-EPQ (Complete)

Predicted grades: BBB

Goals:
Predicted grades of AAB (by January 31st),
Final A-Level grades of AAA,
Get into university.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about A-levels and I'd gladly accept any relevant feedback or advice!

hello! well done for starting a gyg journal! i'm going to definitely stay updated with your journey :smile: <3! i am also in year 13 and im also thinking of applying to york for bsc linguistics :biggrin:! i also have a gyg forum if you want to follow my journey: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7404622&p=98899172&page=1

good luck :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emm4nuella
hello! well done for starting a gyg journal! i'm going to definitely stay updated with your journey :smile: <3! i am also in year 13 and im also thinking of applying to york for bsc linguistics :biggrin:! i also have a gyg forum if you want to follow my journey: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7404622&p=98899172&page=1

good luck :smile:

Thanks! I have started following your thread, maybe we can help motivate each other haha.
Original post by Jieay20
Thanks! I have started following your thread, maybe we can help motivate each other haha.

love that! thanks
Reply 4
Day 1:

Thought I'd post my daily recap before it got too late and I fell asleep lol.

Completed:

-Completed Maths homework
-Started Year 2 trig revision for unit test in my free period.
-Completed Biology past paper for test paper 2 test on Thursday.

To do:

-Mark my biology past paper and make flashcards out of incorrect questions based on mark scheme.
-Review chemistry flashcards and do more PPQs for test this week.
-Catch up with chemistry teacher after missed revision session :frown: (disappointed email whoops)
-Complete trig mixed exercise (started).
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Day 2:

I'm starting to believe that these gyg posts will help me maintain focus and motivation throughout the year. Hit a mini depression session earlier thinking about the grind that this year is going to be, however the thought that anything can happen in 8 months is really keeping me going.

Today I completed my Maths and Chemistry homework as well as my Module 5 Chemistry flashcards in preparation for my unit test later this week.

I'm definitely finding Chemistry the hardest subject right now, just with the volume of information to get my head around and all the different reactions and pathways to keep track of. Today I started using chemrevise to help my revision and it definitely seems to help, but if anyone has some other tricks to help understand the content I would be soooo thankful :h:

On a better note, I also finished my personal statement today so I have that going for me.

Tomorrow, I'm going to revise more biology as my test is on Thursday, although that is the subject I am least worried about right now. Other than that, I am really enjoying maths right now, I just need to master differentiation and the chain rule, which I am going to continue revising tonight. Which will make integration so much easier when we cover than in a few weeks.

Anyway, on a more personal level, I've been listing to d4vd music all day and I think it's starting to become a mini-addiction. Also, didn't really do anything for Halloween and spent it all revising because I'm an academic weapon - boring I know.

See you all tomorrow :biggrin:

Spoiler

If not celebrating halloween to revise, or other festivals for that matter, is what it takes to reach your grade goals, do it.

I didn't - it caused me underachievement in grades.
Reply 7
Original post by ActiveEccentric
If not celebrating halloween to revise, or other festivals for that matter, is what it takes to reach your grade goals, do it.

I didn't - it caused me underachievement in grades.

I totally agree, it's a sacrifice for a better future at the end of the day. I don't normally celebrate Halloween and none of my friends were having parties so luckily there was not much I was interested in doing other than studying which was nice for a change because I'm usually the first to jump at every plan formulated in the group chat :u:
Original post by Jieay20
Day 2:

I'm starting to believe that these gyg posts will help me maintain focus and motivation throughout the year. Hit a mini depression session earlier thinking about the grind that this year is going to be, however the thought that anything can happen in 8 months is really keeping me going.

Today I completed my Maths and Chemistry homework as well as my Module 5 Chemistry flashcards in preparation for my unit test later this week.

I'm definitely finding Chemistry the hardest subject right now, just with the volume of information to get my head around and all the different reactions and pathways to keep track of. Today I started using chemrevise to help my revision and it definitely seems to help, but if anyone has some other tricks to help understand the content I would be soooo thankful :h:

On a better note, I also finished my personal statement today so I have that going for me.

Tomorrow, I'm going to revise more biology as my test is on Thursday, although that is the subject I am least worried about right now. Other than that, I am really enjoying maths right now, I just need to master differentiation and the chain rule, which I am going to continue revising tonight. Which will make integration so much easier when we cover than in a few weeks.

Anyway, on a more personal level, I've been listing to d4vd music all day and I think it's starting to become a mini-addiction. Also, didn't really do anything for Halloween and spent it all revising because I'm an academic weapon - boring I know.

See you all tomorrow :biggrin:

Spoiler

how did you add that spoiler?
Reply 9
how did you add that spoiler?

I'm not sure how to show you but its one of the buttons at the top in the text box, it looks like a face with a scrunched mouth, next to the video icon.
Original post by Jieay20
I'm not sure how to show you but its one of the buttons at the top in the text box, it looks like a face with a scrunched mouth, next to the video icon.

on web or on mobile?
Original post by Jieay20
I totally agree, it's a sacrifice for a better future at the end of the day. I don't normally celebrate Halloween and none of my friends were having parties so luckily there was not much I was interested in doing other than studying which was nice for a change because I'm usually the first to jump at every plan formulated in the group chat :u:

That's the right attitude!

But it's tough - don't burn out. You're in the flow now - keep the momentum going, because it can be rather difficult to start again especially for some people.

I guess a goal could be to increase the predicted grades from BBB. If you can increase them, that opens more options, especially for more prestigious unis, or at least unis better than mediocre Kent.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ActiveEccentric
That's the right attitude!

But it's tough - don't burn out. You're in the flow now - keep the momentum going, because it can be rather difficult to start again especially for some people.

I guess a goal could be to increase the predicted grades from BBB. If you can increase them, that opens more options, especially for more prestigious unis, or at least unis better than mediocre Kent.

Thanks so much! I find it really hard to start revising to be honest and that's why I feel so behind after year 12. Hopefully I can just keep it going until my actual exams now.

I added Kent as a sorta backup option if it all goes wrong because I can get in with CCC but if I can improve my predicted grades then I'm hoping I can get an offer from UEA or York with contextual and EPQ reduction.

We'll see I guess but thanks for the kind words 😊
Reply 13
on web or on mobile?

I was on web
Original post by Jieay20
I was on web

weird that feature is not on there for me :frown:
Reply 15
weird that feature is not on there for me :frown:

It's not showing for me now either, it might only be an option when you post instead of replying.
Original post by Jieay20
It's not showing for me now either, it might only be an option when you post instead of replying.

how do you just post instead of reply? dont understand that either :frown:
Reply 17
how do you just post instead of reply? dont understand that either :frown:

I've just logged on the web version now and there's been an update, its now gone for me too, I don't even know how to send emojis now >:frown:
Reply 18
Day 3:

I'm starting to feel really productive and it's honestly motivating me to keep working harder and harder, hopefully I will start seeing results in my upcoming tests as I've managed to get myself to BBB while slacking on my revision in the past year (if im being honest with myself lol). Also, I think all this revision and tracking my progress on this log is improving my mood as I'm able to journal and see what I've completed at the end of each day.

All in all, hopefully this motivates me to continue and I'm sure the hard work will begin to show :biggrin:

Completed:
-Maths homework
-Maths after school revision
-Biology flashcards and made flashcards on my past paper from Monday
-Read through some chemrevise notes for my current module 6 work and some module 2 revision at lunch.

To do:
-Biology HIV homework (weekend)
-Chemistry optical isomers homework (weekend)
-Continue to prepare for chem module 5 test. (tomorrow)
-Maths mixed ex 7 (weekend)
-Meet with sixth form head and chem teacher (Friday hopefully)

Hope you all had a good Wednesday, the weekend is near :smile:
Original post by Jieay20
Thanks so much! I find it really hard to start revising to be honest and that's why I feel so behind after year 12. Hopefully I can just keep it going until my actual exams now.

I added Kent as a sorta backup option if it all goes wrong because I can get in with CCC but if I can improve my predicted grades then I'm hoping I can get an offer from UEA or York with contextual and EPQ reduction.

We'll see I guess but thanks for the kind words 😊

Back last year I used 1focus to stop procrastination to block distracting websites and apps (Except Google Chrome), and then stayfocusd to block other websites with google chrome, everything except necessary.

I also put the phone away, a lot of things, to block myself from procrastinating. Using Pomodoro helped me keep the schedule. Start with 5 minutes studying, then study more and more.

In that case it is a backup, although if you get CCC... would it be better to retake instead? Kent is quite a mediocre uni, but if you like it I guess go there?

If you improve... UEA is non RG although actually not that bad. York would be better, it's RG, mid RG.

Just stop slacking, get something done. You got this. Get the predicted as high as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending