The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE AQA

Hey, I'm stuck on the following question. I understand how to differentiate but when I get to -4/x I can't seem to understand how to differentiate this. Is it something to do with index laws?

Question:
Work out dy/dx for y= 1/4 (x^4 +2x -4)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hey, I'm stuck on the following question. I understand how to differentiate but when I get to -4/x I can't seem to understand how to differentiate this. Is it something to do with index laws?

Question:

Is that

14(x4+2x4)\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\left(x^4+2x-4\right)

Or did you make a typo?

If it is then can you explain where -4/x came from?
Reply 2

Question:

There isn't a "-4/x" in that expression for y! Can you upload a picture of the original question?
pretty sure u just simplify first (0.25x+0.5x-1) then differentiate

Question:

Question:

y = 1/4(x^4)+1/2(x)-1
dy/dx = 4x^3+1/2
Reply 5
Original post by BENgal232
y = 1/4(x^4)+1/2(x)-1
dy/dx = 4x^3+1/2

You might want to check that! And please don't post solutions - it's against the rules of the forum :smile: We need to see what the OP has tried so we can help properly, and they haven't been clear about the question yet.

Quick Reply

Latest