The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Hey everyone, my sixth form options (just finished y11) are:

Mathematics (AQA)
Further Mathematics (AQA)
Computer science (CIE)
Physics (OCR)
EPQ (AQA) [potentially, to further confirm]

Does anyone have any tips on how to get an A* for each of those?

Thank you very much.
Mathematics & Further Mathematics - practice, practice, practice! literally the most basic yet most valuable advice one can receive for a methodical subject like maths. do every single practice question/ exercise/ past paper question possible and make sure to mark your work against the markscheme, ensuring that you haven't omitted any steps or workings which could potentially lead to losing marks. you'll find that the questions begin to get repetitive after a while; once you master the method, you'll be fine - no matter how the question is asked or framed.

EPQ - too often, students get lost in aiming to produce the best possible essay or project or whatever it is, losing sight of the fact that a lot of marks are actually given out for commitment & organisation. keep a journal. update it weekly of the research or work you've done towards your project. your assessor wants to see that you've been regularly working on your EPQ and that you're committed to it; by keeping a weekly log, it proves that you didn't just panic write your EPQ in the 72 hours leading up to the deadline.
Original post by confuzzledteen
Mathematics & Further Mathematics - practice, practice, practice! literally the most basic yet most valuable advice one can receive for a methodical subject like maths. do every single practice question/ exercise/ past paper question possible and make sure to mark your work against the markscheme, ensuring that you haven't omitted any steps or workings which could potentially lead to losing marks. you'll find that the questions begin to get repetitive after a while; once you master the method, you'll be fine - no matter how the question is asked or framed.

EPQ - too often, students get lost in aiming to produce the best possible essay or project or whatever it is, losing sight of the fact that a lot of marks are actually given out for commitment & organisation. keep a journal. update it weekly of the research or work you've done towards your project. your assessor wants to see that you've been regularly working on your EPQ and that you're committed to it; by keeping a weekly log, it proves that you didn't just panic write your EPQ in the 72 hours leading up to the deadline.

Thank you so much, this has been very helpful. For maths, at GCSE, I did every single question I could find, and It went pretty well for both the normal maths (edexcel igcse) and the further maths (aqa) so this re assures me that I will do the same as I did at GCSE, though I will need to pay a bit more attention to the steps in the mark scheme, as I just skipped to the answer at gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest