The Student Room Group

JMC: Am I prepared enough?

Hello!

The JMC is next week on Wednesday and I want to prepare enough to get some good score.
I am in Year 8 and this is the first time I will be participating in the maths challenge. I really want to get a good certificate (I'm not some crazy nerd, I just want to get a nice result, personally).

I have done all the past papers from 2015 - 2022 and have gotten scores between the silver threshold and kangaroo entrance scores. However, this was without a timer and done within 2 hours. I have also done a few kangaroo papers and tomorrow, I will do the 2022 JMC paper but with a timer for 1 hour.

I am quite excited but also slightly nervous because it will be my first time sitting the JMC. I am setting myself a target of silver but is this too high?

Also, are there any resources that may help me prepare for it? I know that UKMT are working with DrFrostMaths, so are there any sections from there that will be most useful?

Thank you if you can give me any recommendations/tips/advice!
Original post by .Vvoid.
Hello!

The JMC is next week on Wednesday and I want to prepare enough to get some good score.
I am in Year 8 and this is the first time I will be participating in the maths challenge. I really want to get a good certificate (I'm not some crazy nerd, I just want to get a nice result, personally).

I have done all the past papers from 2015 - 2022 and have gotten scores between the silver threshold and kangaroo entrance scores. However, this was without a timer and done within 2 hours. I have also done a few kangaroo papers and tomorrow, I will do the 2022 JMC paper but with a timer for 1 hour.

I am quite excited but also slightly nervous because it will be my first time sitting the JMC. I am setting myself a target of silver but is this too high?

Also, are there any resources that may help me prepare for it? I know that UKMT are working with DrFrostMaths, so are there any sections from there that will be most useful?

Thank you if you can give me any recommendations/tips/advice!

Id have a look at some of the
www.parallel.org.uk
which is pretty much aimed at jmc/imc and have things like "winning strategies for the jmc" tomorrow and weekly maths challenges based on jmc/imc stuff.

WIth a bit more time you could delve into general problem solving a bit more or work though some of the mentoring sheets or pick up the first steps in problem solving ukmt book or ... But just find some stuff thats interesting and enjoy wednesday.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Id have a look at some of the
www.parallel.org.uk
which is pretty much aimed at jmc/imc and have things like "winning strategies for the jmc" tomorrow and weekly maths challenges based on jmc/imc stuff.

WIth a bit more time you could delve into general problem solving a bit more or work though some of the mentoring sheets or pick up the first steps in problem solving ukmt book or ... But just find some stuff thats interesting and enjoy wednesday.

OK thank you! I'll give it a go!

Quick Reply

Latest