The Student Room Group

GCSE English language paper 1

What structure should I use for paragraphs in questions 2,3&4?
Original post by ebony_7

Hi!

My teacher always taught my class PETALZ which stands for Point (what you're arguing) Evidence (quotation from the extract) Technique (the language technique used - simile, metaphor, etc) Analysis (what that quotation suggests to you, effect on the reader, etc) Link (relevance to question) and Zoom (pick a specific word from you quotation to zoom in on the connotations of and that will add to your point). How you use it very much depends on how confident you are in your analytical writing abilities. I was quite confident with my abilities in English Lang and was aiming for higher grades, because of this I didn't necessarily stick to the structure but I always made sure I had the components of PETALZ. If you feel confident with your writing skills you can play around with the order rather than having paragraphs that all sound and look the same. However, if you're less confident, sticking to the PETALZ structure could be super useful.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if there's anything else you need:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ebony_7

honestly i feel like the whole structure thing is kinda bs (i saw a mr salles vid n he said the same) so i tried practicing my answers w out this n i'm acc doing sm better????? i think u should try starting ur paras w whatev ur quote thing is n then begin explaining it asw as going even more deeper w ur explanation (like using "this further shows.." n then showing how this connects to what point ur tryna make (i think this is literally the peel structure lol)
Original post by Buckystan123
Hi!

My teacher always taught my class PETALZ which stands for Point (what you're arguing) Evidence (quotation from the extract) Technique (the language technique used - simile, metaphor, etc) Analysis (what that quotation suggests to you, effect on the reader, etc) Link (relevance to question) and Zoom (pick a specific word from you quotation to zoom in on the connotations of and that will add to your point). How you use it very much depends on how confident you are in your analytical writing abilities. I was quite confident with my abilities in English Lang and was aiming for higher grades, because of this I didn't necessarily stick to the structure but I always made sure I had the components of PETALZ. If you feel confident with your writing skills you can play around with the order rather than having paragraphs that all sound and look the same. However, if you're less confident, sticking to the PETALZ structure could be super useful.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if there's anything else you need:smile:

Thank you so much!!! I was searching online for structures and there aren't many good websites for English language so thank you!
Yeah the main part I struggle with is explaining what the effect on the reader is instead of just saying things like : "it's compelling", "builds tension", "makes the reader want to continue".
Original post by mzzz_k
honestly i feel like the whole structure thing is kinda bs (i saw a mr salles vid n he said the same) so i tried practicing my answers w out this n i'm acc doing sm better????? i think u should try starting ur paras w whatev ur quote thing is n then begin explaining it asw as going even more deeper w ur explanation (like using "this further shows.." n then showing how this connects to what point ur tryna make (i think this is literally the peel structure lol)

Yeah, true, I guess once you are comfortable enough with it you don't need a set structure as long as you have all the components and you have developed your point enough.
Original post by ebony_7
Thank you so much!!! I was searching online for structures and there aren't many good websites for English language so thank you!
Yeah the main part I struggle with is explaining what the effect on the reader is instead of just saying things like : "it's compelling", "builds tension", "makes the reader want to continue".

I think the 'Zoom' part may help with that as focusing on the connotations of one word may help you convey a more in-depth effect rather than the simpler ones. If you wanted to practice that I'd definitely recommend maybe looking up some words and then writing down all the different connotations you can think of. You could also combine that practice with your lit revision by doing quotation explosions for different quotations from your set text.

Quick Reply

Latest