The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Language Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am re-doing AQA English Language in the summer as I did not get a 4.
Reply 2
Any tips for grade 9? I’m being constricted to grade 7
(edited 7 months ago)
Heyyy
I’m doing aqa english language but this is my worst predicted grade so any tip would be really appreciated
Hello, thanks for making this thread!

I'm doing aqa for english lang.
I do enjoy the creative writing section and the first question on paper 1 + 2 (as it's the easiest in my opinion lol).
I sometimes struggle to get started when I'm writing my responses, but once I get going I'm fine.

For @agent_duck343 and @dmedz , here are some tips I have for english lang, but they are all for paper 1, although can be applicable for paper 2 as well:

- For Q2 about language: once you put your point and quotation across try to identify a language device and link it's effect to the question, then put a one-word focus (where you zoom in on one word and link it's effect to the question) and lastly you could comment on sentence structure/punctuation and any other language devices. Always remember to link back to the question and aim to write about 2 paragraphs!
- For Q3 about structure: try to identify structures like cyclical structures, an introduction to a new character, anything that foreshadows an event, changes or shifts in tone and setting, flashbacks/cliffhangers and how this can interest the reader. You don't need to give any quotations that have language devices in particular, they can be any quotations as long as they back up your point.
- For Q4: I firstly recommend making sure you stay within the lines you are asked to write about as this prevents any silly mistakes (like writing about the wrong lines). After putting your point (whether you agree/disagree) and explaining a reason why this is, it's best to put forward a quotation to back the point up. You can then discuss language devices and it's effect on the reader/link to the statement. As a bonus you can discuss punctuation and structures.

I hope I helped!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
does anyone know if a student retaking their exams the next year (they sat it in 2023 but will be taking the 2024 exam to raise their grade) can carry forward their Speaking Endorsement in English Language GCSE?
Original post by a.a3184
does anyone know if a student retaking their exams the next year (they sat it in 2023 but will be taking the 2024 exam to raise their grade) can carry forward their Speaking Endorsement in English Language GCSE?

You can
Reply 7
Original post by dmedz
Any tips for grade 9? I’m being constricted to grade 7

Honestly practice makes perfect, every day revise for English, read more books for a better range of vocab and figurative languageor cook for sample answers and take notes from them to make your writing more worthy if you want you can send me some of your work and i can mark it for you.
Reply 8
Any tips on how to absorb the info on the extracts fast? I'm having to reread the extract many times and it seems to very hard to read. This specifically for ELP2 (AQA). And for the last question can you just make up the most unreal statistics? Last time I got marked down because my accurate statistics to back my point weren't "dramatic" enough.
Original post by Dazza07h
Any tips on how to absorb the info on the extracts fast? I'm having to reread the extract many times and it seems to very hard to read. This specifically for ELP2 (AQA). And for the last question can you just make up the most unreal statistics? Last time I got marked down because my accurate statistics to back my point weren't "dramatic" enough.

It's easier to absorb the info if you have read the questions before reading the extract and also if you highlight/underline quotes you find useful as you read it
Original post by Dazza07h

Read the questions before you read the sources and then as you read through the sources highlight/underline anything important or anything relevant to any of the questions
Reply 11
Any tips for questions 5 it’s stopping me from getting a grade 9
Reply 12
Hi what prose anthology came in a June 2023 edexcel igcse English language paper? Also what are the predictions for June 2024? TIA
Reply 13
im doing ocr english exams in 2024 any tips i suck at english like is there any good websites or youtubers
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by v1cky
im doing ocr english exams in 2024 any tips i suck at english like is there any good websites or youtubers

Hi! I did AQA English a few years ago, but I have friends currently doing OCR and they really recommend Mr Hardy's youtube videos! I'll put the link to his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/@mrhardy930

Good luck with your exams! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Language Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Has anyone else taken GCSE Englsih Language in May this year?
Anyone who know the writting task question or anyone have the past paper
the exam board is: eduqas,
hello , can i ask if anyone have bought mr salles revision guides for language ? and how are they , are they worth the money?? or is cgp better?
I'm anxious about spoken language endorsement because my school hasn't mentioned it and I had to try and find a topic. I can't think of anything I'll be able to extensively talk about to get a Distinction. I won't have enough time to rehearse because of religious commitments and because of homework. What do I do?
I'm anxious about spoken language endorsement because my school hasn't mentioned it and I had to try and find a topic. I can't think of anything I'll be able to extensively talk about to get a Distinction. What do I do?
Original post by cellist2015-now
I'm anxious about spoken language endorsement because my school hasn't mentioned it and I had to try and find a topic. I can't think of anything I'll be able to extensively talk about to get a Distinction. What do I do?

Hopely your school won't make you do it on Sports Day. I had to do mine on Sports Day and it made it even harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending