The Student Room Group

74 days left

I am resitting my english and maths gcses and I have absolutely no clue how to revise english language effectively. I've been learning language and structural techniques but it is so difficult for me to find them in actual texts and i have absolutely no idea what to write about unless i use those templates online. I'm not too worried about maths since im confident i'll pass but i cant say the same for english. I cannot bare another year of English Language.
Language techniques = anything the writer does. So just start all your points with something like "The writer describes" and then say what the writer is describing, followed by "the image/phrase" and then a quote. eg. "The writer describes John using the image "as solid as a rock".

Then say what effect this has on the reader, ie what image it puts into the reader's imagination.

'The writer describes John using the image "as solid as a rock". This gives the impression that John is reliable and dependable because it implies that he cannot be moved.'
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Does this work for every question though? Excluding q5 of course.
Original post by cartierrr
Does this work for every question though? Excluding q5 of course.
Which exam board are you doing? For AQA, this works for Q2 of Paper 1, and Q3 of Paper 2.

If AQA then for Q3 of Paper 1, you need to say "The writer focuses on" and then "This makes the reader" for each paragraph/section of the extract.

eg. 'The writer shifts the focus to a description of the dog and how it is howling. This makes the reader wonder why the dog is upset."

For Q4 of Paper 1, you need to say "I agree with the statement" and then identify some quotes and say why they make you agree with the statement.

Let me know if that's useful and if you're doing AQA, and I can tell you how to do Qs 2 and 4 of Paper 2 too.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Yeah, that is very helpful, and I am doing AQA. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending