The Student Room Group

Do people smoke because they don't want to live a long life or just to relax?

It's always something I wondered as a non-smoker. Like do people choose to smoke as they only wish to live not too long? In theory the best half of life usually being the first half. Or is it more to relax and they are just too hooked even knowing the consequences might be less lifespan possibly by a long way?

I mean several decades of smoking frequently each day is quite likely to do your health in fairly early I would have thought. Not meaning to sound negative at all as I know some people have different outlooks just kind of wondered on the drivers behind I all.
Reply 1
The reasons why people smoke can vary from person to person. While it's true that some individuals may smoke to help them relax or relieve stress, it's important to note that smoking poses significant health risks. Many people start smoking for various reasons, such as peer pressure, curiosity, or the influence of media and advertising. However, the addictive nature of nicotine in cigarettes can make it difficult for people to quit, even if they want to live a long and healthy life.

Smoking is known to be a leading cause of preventable diseases, including lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory problems. Despite this knowledge, some individuals continue to smoke due to addiction, habit, or other personal reasons. It's important to understand that smoking is harmful to both the smoker and those around them due to secondhand smoke.

While smoking may provide a temporary sense of relaxation for some individuals, it's crucial to recognize the long-term consequences and health risks associated with tobacco use. Living a long and healthy life involves making choices that prioritize well-being and minimize exposure to harmful substances like tobacco.
Reply 2
I used to be of the mindset of a lot of anti-smokers and say they're ruining their health and don't care about anyone else other than themselves. But, I started vaping anyway. So it makes me a bad person to ask about does smoking relax you. Well, it does to a point. It's just something that seems pleasant whenever you're stressed. It seems to calm your stress levels. At least that's why I started. I needed an outlet and it seemed like the right outlet at the time. Now, I'm addicted to nicotine.
It's equal parts to relax and to stress (well known they don't actually relax you in any way)

I think for health a lot of smokers are simply in denial, both about effects of smoking and mortality in general. It's not like they have to look at their own lungs and you quickly get used to the smells that repulse others.

But as time goes on, well, you'll likely start to lose people to lung cancer etc or have your own scare and it gets a bit harder to ignore, I smoked for 20+ years before finally feeling stupid enough to stop.
Original post by catchrylie
I used to be of the mindset of a lot of anti-smokers and say they're ruining their health and don't care about anyone else other than themselves. But, I started vaping anyway. So it makes me a bad person to ask about does smoking relax you. Well, it does to a point. It's just something that seems pleasant whenever you're stressed. It seems to calm your stress levels. At least that's why I started. I needed an outlet and it seemed like the right outlet at the time. Now, I'm addicted to nicotine.

The ending though lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending