The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Biology Paper 1 Higher Tier [16th May 2023] Exam Chat

Poll

How did the Edexcel GCSE Biology Paper 1 exam go for you?

Edexcel GCSE Biology Paper 1 Higher Tier | 16th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 16th May 2023 AM
Length: 1h 45m

Link to Study Group:
GCSE Biology Study Group 2022-2023
Link to Master Thread:
GCSE Exam Discussions 2023
We hope it went well :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do combined science; aiming for 7-7 mainly. I feel biology always carries me in the sciences so im due to do well in these rounds of exams
Good luck to anyone sitting this exam today!
Reply 3
Best of Luck everyone, I'm sure we'll all do great! 🤞
Reply 4
how do you think the exam went?
Reply 5
Original post by Adithya2007
how do you think the exam went?

What were the questions you can remember
From triple
Original post by GS89636
From triple

There was a 6 marker on the structure of the Reflex Arc and a 4 marker on pregnancy tests with Monoclonal Antibodies. The test was an easy paper but I didn't revise enough so I think it only went well for everyone else. High grade boundaries this year I predict. A question on BMI and other health related data, along with extinction questions and two punnet squares.
Reply 7
Original post by thegcse2023g
There was a 6 marker on the structure of the Reflex Arc and a 4 marker on pregnancy tests with Monoclonal Antibodies. The test was an easy paper but I didn't revise enough so I think it only went well for everyone else. High grade boundaries this year I predict. A question on BMI and other health related data, along with extinction questions and two punnet squares.

yeah the exam went rlly well. it was really easy, the question on lesions was a little tough but i was able to answer it. what did u guys write about for that question?
Reply 8
Original post by GS89636
From triple

There was also a 4 marker abt how protein synthesis can lead to viral proteins being made.
And a confusing 6 marker about how to investigate plant disease ( I probs got 0 on that one unless investigating growth or looking at colour change counts)
Other than that, it was a pretty easy paper. If yk Ur stuff then Ur set
Reply 9
Original post by iremaltunn
yeah the exam went rlly well. it was really easy, the question on lesions was a little tough but i was able to answer it. what did u guys write about for that question?

I wrote about quadrats but I am worried since I thought quadrats and transect belts are topic 9 so would be paper 2? Wbu?
Reply 10
Original post by Henry2006
I wrote about quadrats but I am worried since I thought quadrats and transect belts are topic 9 so would be paper 2? Wbu?

it was tricky but i said:
cut diseased area and feet pathogen with monoclonal antibodies.
then record and observe area the lesions distributed
which areas have most lesions
compare and contrast
look at environmental change for causes
if there are insects use pesticides to keep them away.
Reply 11
it was tricky but i said:
cut diseased area and feet pathogen with monoclonal antibodies.
then record and observe area the lesions distributed
which areas have most lesions
compare and contrast
look at environmental change for causes
if there are insects use pesticides to keep them away.

Yeah sounds better than what I wrote, someone said about monoclonal antibodies on pg57 of CGP to me also
I thought the exam went well but the first 6 marker wasn’t great..
Reply 13
Original post by thegcse2023g

I think it was easy but the 6 marker on the lesions would throw some people off and lower the grade boundaries

Out of all the past papers it was odd
Reply 14

i think i probably got 5/6 or 4/6
I talked about taking a sample and detecting antigens with RNA screening and looking for other plants with lesions and evaluating the distribution such as a wide spread uneven distribution means its a airborne pathogen
Reply 15
yeh overall was good and it felt like the 2019 papers, felt a little thrown off my the enzyme practical but writing abt practicals I personally find a bit more tricky
Congratulations to all those who completed their GCSE Biology Paper 1 today! I hope you all did great and do not fret if you think you did badly, do not worry, there are redemption opportunities for your next papers and even if you feel you done badly on those, do not lose hope and do not dwell on them.

I wish you all the best of luck for all of your upcoming exams, you’re all going to do great, amazing, *insert every synonym on Earth* and don’t forget we are all here to help!
Reply 17
Odd how the paper was so limited and alot of content was missed

Original post by scar-the-queen
I thought the exam went well but the first 6 marker wasn’t great..
Reply 18
Original post by GS89636
Odd how the paper was so limited and alot of content was missed

Yeh i agree and tbf they focused sm on fairly small topics that it felt almost a waste of time me revising bigger topics in more depth
Reply 19
too many small topics, i was struggling at the first question ;-;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending