The Student Room Group

A-level maths help :(

Hello, I am a bit confused because I thought that increasing air resistance would decrease the velocity/speed of a ball but apparently it increases it so could someone please explain why?

-This is supposed to be in the maths forum but I suppose it is mechanics and I do not know how to change it to the maths forum.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by skyeforster15
Hello, I am a bit confused because I thought that increasing air resistance would decrease the velocity/speed of a ball but apparently it increases it so could someone please explain why?

Please post the question that is confusing you.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Please post the question that is confusing you.

It is part c).
It is part c).

I'm a GCSE student but velocity is a vector quantity and refers to speed and direction, therefore increasing air resistance may increase the velocity but not the speed of it as the velocity (direction) may be changing.
Reply 4
It is part c).

From a) you've found that if the ball hits the ground 100m away then the initial speed is 28.

If air resistance is added to the model then if everything else remains the same, the ball will hit the ground closer than 100m away.

So the initial speed will need to be increased for the ball to still reach 100m.

Does that make sense?
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
From a) you've found that if the ball hits the ground 100m away then the initial speed is 28.

If air resistance is added to the model then if everything else remains the same, the ball will hit the ground closer than 100m away.

So the initial speed will need to be increased for the ball to still reach 100m.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes a lot of sense indeed. In fact, it makes too much sense. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest