The Student Room Group

is further maths right for me?

I'm planning to do double maths, physics and chemistry for a levels- we do normal maths year one and f maths year 2. Right now I am on fsmq and always get high 9s in gcse- however I feel like I grasp concepts more slowly than some of my friends in fsmq and struggle a bit sometimes. Is this ok? I was always planning to do f maths but I want to make sure that not everyone who does it understands things immediately and does have a learning curve?
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
I'm planning to do double maths, physics and chemistry for a levels- we do normal maths year one and f maths year 2. Right now I am on fsmq and always get high 9s in gcse- however I feel like I grasp concepts more slowly than some of my friends in fsmq and struggle a bit sometimes. Is this ok? I was always planning to do f maths but I want to make sure that not everyone who does it understands things immediately and does have a learning curve?
Im doing Maths, F Maths, Economics and physics. I would say that if you are getting high nines then you can pretty much do any A level you choose, if you feel like it takes a bit of time to grasp things thats fine, I am in year 12 and im already coming to the end of A level maths so I would say that if you can get past the workload you will understand everything even if it takes you a while, mainly because of the insane amount of practice you do. As long as you can do this and have a good natural ability you should be ok.
Reply 2

Hello! I’m currently in Yr13, and I only do FM and physics now, since I sat A-Level maths last year and got my A*. We have also finished FM now. Not everyone understands everything immediately, and the teachers will understand that. They know you’re doing double the content in the same amount of time and it is definitely a bit difficult. I only did 3 A-Levels, but I’m sure if you stay on top of your work, it’ll be manageable… Lmk if you need any help!
i'm in year 13 and i currently do maths, further maths, chem, and econ. it's very much okay if you take longer to understand things than others, because i am the same !! the most important thing to do is to just practice in your own time and build up your understanding on your own because teachers will expect you to do that anyway. especially with further, teachers will tend to slow down a bit as well because they know the content is much more difficult than standard a-level maths. but honestly as long as you manage your time well, you will do great :smile:
I also took a while to grasp concepts in FSMQ and I still managed to get an A and I'm doing maths and further maths a levels now. I would say it's okay if you take time to grasp concepts but I'd stress that it's important to ask for help if you're finding anything particularly difficult. Also, I'd emphasise being consistent with doing practice questions at home to consolidate concepts - this also helps ensure that you don't fall behind.
Reply 5
Thank you for all the replies! Are there any YouTube channels or websites that help you?

Quick Reply

Latest