The Student Room Group

A levels

Hi everyone, I hope someone will answer my question soon as I am doing my A levels soon.I am not sure about which job I want to do in future but I think I might do something in accountancy/medical field/solicitor(Law, Barrister).I want to do business studies as an A level but I didn't choose in my GCSEs so can I still do it or not? If I did as an A level, will I be behind as I didn't choose business as GCSEs?I think I will pick business studies, maths and (ICT or Biology or chemistry or Law). My first option is maths and second is business studies. I am not sure about third one so can anyone suggest me third subject from what I have put in bracket or any other that will be good for me. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Harman Kaur
Hi everyone, I hope someone will answer my question soon as I am doing my A levels soon.I am not sure about which job I want to do in future but I think I might do something in accountancy/medical field/solicitor(Law, Barrister).I want to do business studies as an A level but I didn't choose in my GCSEs so can I still do it or not? If I did as an A level, will I be behind as I didn't choose business as GCSEs?I think I will pick business studies, maths and (ICT or Biology or chemistry or Law). My first option is maths and second is business studies. I am not sure about third one so can anyone suggest me third subject from what I have put in bracket or any other that will be good for me. Thanks

Most schools do not offer Business as a GCSE subject, and many do not offer it as an A-level either. There is no expectation for you to have completed either of these qualifications, and neither will help you with job prospects.
For related career paths, doing Maths as an A-level will be useful.
To study medicine, you will most likely be expected to complete Chemistry and Biology A-Levels.
To study law in the future, the expectation is often to have studied an essay subject. There is no advantage of studying Law at A-Level.
Reply 2
Original post by Riann246
Most schools do not offer Business as a GCSE subject, and many do not offer it as an A-level either. There is no expectation for you to have completed either of these qualifications, and neither will help you with job prospects.
For related career paths, doing Maths as an A-level will be useful.
To study medicine, you will most likely be expected to complete Chemistry and Biology A-Levels.
To study law in the future, the expectation is often to have studied an essay subject. There is no advantage of studying Law at A-Level.

Thank you so much for letting me know. My school does offer business as gcse and A level subject so is it going to be helpful to pick business? I will defiantly pick maths but not sure about 2 others. Can you pls let me know if accounacty or economics subject will be useful. what are essay subjects, can you please tell me all of the essay subjects.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for letting me know. My school does offer business as gcse and A level subject so is it going to be helpful to pick business? I will defiantly pick maths but not sure about 2 others. Can you pls let me know if accounacty or economics subject will be useful. what are essay subjects, can you please tell me all of the essay subjects.

Economics is far more useful and widely respected than both business and accountancy as an A-Level. Economics is most likely to widen your prospects.
Essay subjects are written subjects, for example: History, Philosophy, Government and Politics, English Literature; any ancient or modern language; Geography, Religious Studies
If you study maths, economics, and one of the above essay subjects, you will easily be able to go into accountancy or law.
If you study maths, chemistry and biology, you will be able to go into medicine.
Reply 4
Economics is far more useful and widely respected than both business and accountancy as an A-Level. Economics is most likely to widen your prospects.
Essay subjects are written subjects, for example: History, Philosophy, Government and Politics, English Literature; any ancient or modern language; Geography, Religious Studies
If you study maths, economics, and one of the above essay subjects, you will easily be able to go into accountancy or law.
If you study maths, chemistry and biology, you will be able to go into medicine.

thanks for your help. I don' like history, English literature, modern language and I am currently doing geography as gcse option but I don't think I will do it as an A level. IDK about philosophy, government and politics, any ancient or religious studies. Suggest me some jobs that will be suitable for me with A level subjects, definitely maths
Reply 5
thanks for your help. I don' like history, English literature, modern language and I am currently doing geography as gcse option but I don't think I will do it as an A level. IDK about philosophy, government and politics, any ancient or religious studies. Suggest me some jobs that will be suitable for me with A level subjects, definitely maths

A-Level maths will help with a variety of jobs, so there is no need to worry about that as you choose your A-levels. If you're keen on maths, you could do Further Maths as an A-level as well (by choosing Maths, Further Maths, and Economics).
Reply 6
A-Level maths will help with a variety of jobs, so there is no need to worry about that as you choose your A-levels. If you're keen on maths, you could do Further Maths as an A-level as well (by choosing Maths, Further Maths, and Economics).

is further maths same as maths but in more detail?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
are these subjects okay to study or they are hard?
Reply 8
are these subjects okay to study or they are hard?

They may be quite challenging, but if you enjoy maths, then you should be able to cope.
is further maths same as maths but in more detail?

Yes, it's also a little bit more difficult.
Reply 9
They may be quite challenging, but if you enjoy maths, then you should be able to cope.

Yes, it's also a little bit more difficult.

ok I enjoy maths but I think I don't want to take further maths so can you plus suggest me some other subjects I can take
Reply 10
ok I enjoy maths but I think I don't want to take further maths so can you plus suggest me some other subjects I can take

Just take what you think you'd enjoy. You'll only excel in these.
Reply 11
Just take what you think you'd enjoy. You'll only excel in these.

I don't know other subjects that I enjoy so can you pls suggest me some subjects I can study in sixth form. I want to do economics as you have suggested but I don't know how it will be like.

Quick Reply

Latest