The Student Room Group

a level eco and a lvl maths ?

kind of dumb queston maybe i just came to uk so i am confused like i have choosed A level eco and i am wondering if i can go to accounting finance stuff by just learning eco or do i have to choose maths also plz help
(edited 6 months ago)
honestly, maths is so important if you want to do a degree in finance areas, more so than econ itself (in terms of getting in maybe not necessarily content). most unis would require maths, and even only have econ/business as a suggested subject bc they know not. a lot of schools offer it as an a level. also imo you kind of make your econ a level redundant by not taking maths in it (that is if you want to go into finance or something)

anyway bottom line, yes take maths w econ, it’s vertically non negotiable. hope this helps!
Original post by nobody12345670
kind of dumb queston maybe i just came to uk so i am confused like i have choosed A level eco and i am wondering if i can go to accounting finance stuff by just learning eco or do i have to choose maths also plz help

Hi,

Some universities do accept candidates who only do A-level economics, so you can do accounting and finance without A-Level maths. At Lancaster University, the Accounting and Finance course grade requirements do not include maths A-level, so you can apply with any A-level subjects. What they look for here is rather the evidence of your skills and motivation for studying Accounting and Finance. (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/accounting-and-finance-bsc-hons-n400/2024/#course-entry)

That said, Accounting and Finance does include quite a bit of mathematics, but Lancaster does provide additional maths help for all students and you can book free 1:1 mathematics appointments if you find yourself struggling with the maths part of Accounting and Finance here. So don't worry, if you are interested in studying Accounting and Finance at University, go for it!

Hope this helps!
Polina (LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest