The Student Room Group

A-level Maths

What is the difference between maths and further maths, Are they different subjects? if so, how do their contents differ?
Reply 1
Original post by Baymax_2602
What is the difference between maths and further maths, Are they different subjects? if so, how do their contents differ?

Further maths is an extension to a level maths. Fm is a lot harder than al maths and features extra content on top of the al spec. Example you have further pure that builds on top of a level maths kind of like how a2 builds on as level. They are usually considered as separate qualifications by unis but some may consider them as "one" subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Further maths is an extension to a level maths. Fm is a lot harder than al maths and features extra content on top of the al spec. Example you have further pure that builds on top of a level maths kind of like how a2 builds on as level. They are usually considered as separate qualifications by unis but some may consider them as "one" subject.

Only a few for medicine - please don't give wrong information.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Only a few for medicine - please don't give wrong information.

I didn't I said some may
Reply 4

Further Maths extends the content of Maths A level and introduces new areas of study. You have to take Maths if you want to take Further Maths. For some degree courses both A levels are required - you can check this from university websites.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5

Heya!
FM is an extension of Maths :h: Maths covers a broad range of topics, including algebra, calculus, geometry, statistics, and probability. Further Maths, on the other hand, delves deeper into advanced concepts and branches of mathematics such as complex numbers, matrices, differential equations, discrete mathematics, and additional calculus topics like integration techniques. If it helps, use Study Mind free resources to check out the difference between the two!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest