The Student Room Group

Burnout

I have just had a mock exam, and I feel all the symptoms of severe academic burnout - I cant study for as long as I did, my studying that I can do, is not very efficient and I have to spend more time on a certain topic then before.
Before anyone says I already have done all the following things:
- Taken a 4 day break from studying altogether
- Have a healthy diet
- Get the right amount of sleep
- exercise
Does anyone have any tips, from their personal experience, or just in general that I can use to help me recover from this burnout as soon as possible, as I am trying to aim for top grades .
Reply 1
This is a difficult one because it's different for everyone. I burnt out just before my mock exams in y11, and it lasted all the way into the start of year 12. Thankfully for me, I was able to cope - part of the problem for me is I no longer saw the point of studying all the time; I realised later it was because I pretty much had a grasp of all the GCSE content I needed to know, and revision became fairly arbitrary. I got to the point where the only revision I did for some subjects was the night before my GCSE exam (for some it was about 20 minutes before). I did fine. I got the top grades in everything, and while I know I could've done better mark-wise, a 9 is a 9.

The thing is, after GCSEs it only got worse, because at A level, I didn't pick things up straight away all the time, and I struggled to make time to do supplementary work to keep up in class. Some of my grades have slipped a little (although not enormously). The key to solving this is perspective. If you're anything like me, a score below 90% is disappointing, and below 80% is pretty unacceptable. But in reality, below 80% is good enough. It's good enough to get an A* or an A (or a 9).

I wouldn't necessarily strive for top grades; strive for what you need to get you where you want to go. That may be somewhere that requires top grades, like Cambridge. But you don't need to get 100%. 77% will do. Just work at it a little at a time. Keep going, no matter how tiring you may find it, or how difficult. Set goals like half an hour a day. I stop working at 9pm everyday, for example. That's time for me to do what I want. It may take a while to pass, but it will. You just need to adjust the way you've been doing things to make it more maneagable.
Reply 2
Original post by Syed Raza Naqvi
I have just had a mock exam, and I feel all the symptoms of severe academic burnout - I cant study for as long as I did, my studying that I can do, is not very efficient and I have to spend more time on a certain topic then before.
Before anyone says I already have done all the following things:
- Taken a 4 day break from studying altogether
- Have a healthy diet
- Get the right amount of sleep
- exercise
Does anyone have any tips, from their personal experience, or just in general that I can use to help me recover from this burnout as soon as possible, as I am trying to aim for top grades .

Hiya . I’m literally having thsi right now my biology gcse exam is tomorrow and I should be cramming but I’ve only done 2 hours of revision today and I was home by 12pm hopefully i can get 2 more hours done tonight , I was so tired when I came home today which was really weird but honestly don’t stress too much because I promise mocks don’t mean anything . I havw friends who were predicted 9’s but walked out with 6’s and i havw friends who were predicted 7’s but walked out with 9’s so don’t worry .
Reply 3
Original post by Whizz2244
This is a difficult one because it's different for everyone. I burnt out just before my mock exams in y11, and it lasted all the way into the start of year 12. Thankfully for me, I was able to cope - part of the problem for me is I no longer saw the point of studying all the time; I realised later it was because I pretty much had a grasp of all the GCSE content I needed to know, and revision became fairly arbitrary. I got to the point where the only revision I did for some subjects was the night before my GCSE exam (for some it was about 20 minutes before). I did fine. I got the top grades in everything, and while I know I could've done better mark-wise, a 9 is a 9.

The thing is, after GCSEs it only got worse, because at A level, I didn't pick things up straight away all the time, and I struggled to make time to do supplementary work to keep up in class. Some of my grades have slipped a little (although not enormously). The key to solving this is perspective. If you're anything like me, a score below 90% is disappointing, and below 80% is pretty unacceptable. But in reality, below 80% is good enough. It's good enough to get an A* or an A (or a 9).

I wouldn't necessarily strive for top grades; strive for what you need to get you where you want to go. That may be somewhere that requires top grades, like Cambridge. But you don't need to get 100%. 77% will do. Just work at it a little at a time. Keep going, no matter how tiring you may find it, or how difficult. Set goals like half an hour a day. I stop working at 9pm everyday, for example. That's time for me to do what I want. It may take a while to pass, but it will. You just need to adjust the way you've been doing things to make it more maneagable.

if you don’t mind me asking what did you get in GCSEs ?
Reply 4
Original post by sara572729
if you don’t mind me asking what did you get in GCSEs ?

aha no problem - I got all 9s. I won't pretend some of them weren't close, but given the amount of work I'd put in before I burnt myself out, it helped me get away with it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Whizz2244
aha no problem - I got all 9s. I won't pretend some of them weren't close, but given the amount of work I'd put in before I burnt myself out, it helped me get away with it :biggrin:

Omg slayyy, I have my GCSEs now they’re low key going okay / good so I’m praying for 9’s but yeah . Well done 🥳🥳🥳

Quick Reply

Latest