The Student Room Group

Ln integration

Hello, I keep getting different answers for the following integration: f'(x) = 2/(10x + 25), so f(x) = 1/5 ln(10x + 25) (via reverse chain rule),
but if first splitting the denominator into 5(2x + 5) and then using the reverse chain rule, why do I get 1/5 ln(2x+5). Maybe I am just very sleepy, am I reverse chain rule-ing wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by anon_ymous123
Hello, I keep getting different answers for the following integration: f'(x) = 2/(10x + 25), so f(x) = 1/5 ln(10x + 25) (via reverse chain rule),
but if first splitting the denominator into 5(2x + 5) and then using the reverse chain rule, why do I get 1/5 ln(2x+5). Maybe I am just very sleepy, am I reverse chain rule-ing wrong?

Youve not written the integration constant in each case. Does that explain things?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Youve not written the integration constant in each case. Does that explain things?

It is a definite (improper) integral between infinity and 1. The mark scheme used the latter solution and got a different answer to mine.
Reply 3
It is a definite (improper) integral between infinity and 1. The mark scheme used the latter solution and got a different answer to mine.

When you evaluate them both using the limits, do you get the same answer?
Whether its definite/indefinite doesnt really change the hint, how are they "different"?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
When you evaluate them both using the limits, do you get the same answer?
Whether its definite/indefinite doesnt really change the hint, how are they "different"?

Let me try again... it's late 😅
Reply 5
Well :smile: I have redone the question both ways and came to the right solution, yay. So both 1/5 ln(2x + 5) + c1 and 1/5 ln(10x + 25) + c2 are correct, and give the same solution when limits are applied. Thank you.
Reply 6
Well :smile: I have redone the question both ways and came to the right solution, yay. So both 1/5 ln(2x + 5) + c1 and 1/5 ln(10x + 25) + c2 are correct, and give the same solution when limits are applied. Thank you.

Do you understand why? Think about the basic log rule
ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Do you understand why? Think about the basic log rule
ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b)

I did think about the following... 1/5 ln(10x + 25) = 1/5 ln(5(2x + 5)) = 1/5 ln(5) + 1/5 ln(2x + 5), but logically it's not making sense to me beyond that... Could you elaborate?
Reply 8
I did think about the following... 1/5 ln(10x + 25) = 1/5 ln(5(2x + 5)) = 1/5 ln(5) + 1/5 ln(2x + 5), but logically it's not making sense to me beyond that... Could you elaborate?

Oh wait, since 1/5 ln5 is just a constant, c2 = c1 + 1/5 ln5?
Reply 9

Tbh, thats it. If you do the definite integral, the constant 1/5ln(5) cancels. If you do the indefinite the constant is absorbed in the integration constant
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest