The Student Room Group

integration

the integral of 1+sin x/ cos x using u= sin x as substitution
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?
Original post by Astray666
Check out this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1960835

You can find the method and solution there.

Pointers:

Find dx using reverse chain rule start from u = sin x

Replace in the original expression: sin x to u and dx to your differential.

Notice the denominator turn into cos2 x.

You need everything to be in terms of u to integrate.

Realise you can manipulate u = sin x from the beginning to find cos2 x. Hint: Square both sides and then use sin2 x + cos2 x.

Now you should have everything in terms of u so: (1 + u) / (1 - u2 ) du.

Realise that the denominator is a difference of two squares: (1+ u) / (1 - u)(1 + u)

(1 + u) at the top and bottom cancel out so you are left with simply: 1 / (1 - u)

This integrates to ln |1 - u | + c

Finally u = sin x

Solution: ln |1 - sin x | + c

Hope this was helpful, make sure to be very good at trigonometry formula manipulations as that is a crucial skill for A Level Maths!

Please see the posting guidelines (sticky) regarding answering questions: hints not full solutions.
Reply 3

Also your ans is incorrect
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=differentiate+ln+%7C1+-+sin+x%7C+
(edited 1 month ago)
Where have I gone wrong?
Reply 5
Where have I gone wrong?
I dont really want to post the ans, but a small but significant one in steps 8 to 9 where you do the integration wrt u. You can verify (or not) by differentiating and subtracting the original integrand and it should equal zero (or not).
As per old engineer though, it would be good to significantly edit the previous post to just contain a couple of hints.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by mqb2766
I dont really want to post the ans, but a small but significant one in steps 8 to 9 where you do the integration wrt u. You can verify (or not) by differentiating and subtracting the original integrand and it should equal zero (or not).
As per old engineer though, it would be good to significantly edit the previous post to just contain a couple of hints.
Can you PM me please I'm really not sure what to do there and sure I'll remove it
Reply 7
Can you PM me please I'm really not sure what to do there and sure I'll remove it
A hint is that the numerator must be the derivative of the denominator to get ln(|*|). What youve done is a small but common mistake.

If you cant get it with that hint, just pm me.

Quick Reply

Latest