The Student Room Group

Exams

I don’t know what is wrong with me and exams. Like I will prepare for exams and I will still mess up and my revision is effective like I use blurting, flashcards, mind-maps, exam style questions and past papers. When I sit an exam I will forget bits or make really really really silly mistakes like I was recently doing a gcse exams and the question was on photosynthesis and I don’t know this until I got out the exams. Like how don’t I know this. It was also a 6 mark question and I am definitely going to fail because of this like what is the point of revising? Does anyone else have this? How do I deal with this? I would like to go into dentistry in the future. This has made me lose motivation and I feel stressed.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by suzy23
I don’t know what is wrong with me and exams. Like I will prepare for exams and I will still mess up and my revision is effective like I use blurting, flashcards, mind-maps, exam style questions and past papers. When I sit an exam I will forget bits or make really really really silly mistakes like I was recently doing a gcse exams and the question was on photosynthesis and I don’t know this until I got out the exams. Like how don’t I know this. It was also a 6 mark question and I am definitely going to fail because of this like what is the point of revising? Does anyone else have this? How do I deal with this? I would like to go into dentistry in the future. This has made me lose motivation and I feel stressed.

Hi, it sounds like all the revision methods you are using should be effective. However, remember not everyone is the same in the way they take in information. Have you tried simply writing and rewriting your notes to make them sink in? Or even sticking notes on the wall and glancing at them every now and again to test yourself. Another issue may be exam stress, do you tend to get very nervous before exams? If so, maybe try some breathing exercises; I know it sounds silly but it may make a huge difference. Finally, don't let GCSEs demotivate you to achieve your goals, there is so much help you can get and you still have your alevels to do which will be more influential in this profession!
Original post by Tomm.
Hi, it sounds like all the revision methods you are using should be effective. However, remember not everyone is the same in the way they take in information. Have you tried simply writing and rewriting your notes to make them sink in? Or even sticking notes on the wall and glancing at them every now and again to test yourself. Another issue may be exam stress, do you tend to get very nervous before exams? If so, maybe try some breathing exercises; I know it sounds silly but it may make a huge difference. Finally, don't let GCSEs demotivate you to achieve your goals, there is so much help you can get and you still have your alevels to do which will be more influential in this profession!

Yes I definitely get stressed for exams but another thing i am also very negative because all the exams I have revised for I have either failed or got average results. That has led up to me being negative.

Quick Reply

Latest