The Student Room Group

Can you take an A level exam after May/June?

Are there any exam centers that I could take my A level exams at after May/June? Any recommendations welcome, thank you!
Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure centres can only offer A level exams in May/June as they run in series i.e. 2024 May/June series. Because exam boards don’t write papers or lay on exam series (including timetabling, distribution of papers, marking and releasing grades) at other times of the year, centres can’t just choose to offer exams then of their own accord.
Unlike GCSEs, there is no November resit series, so while if someone knows of a way you can do this, which would be great, I wouldn’t get your hopes up I’m afraid. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope things work out for you in the end!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by squiddy135
Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure centres can only offer A level exams in May/June as they run in series i.e. 2024 May/June series. Because exam boards don’t write papers or lay on exam series (including timetabling, distribution of papers, marking and releasing grades) at other times of the year, centres can’t just choose to offer exams then of their own accord.
Unlike GCSEs, there is no November resit series, so while if someone knows of a way you can do this, which would be great, I wouldn’t get your hopes up I’m afraid. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope things work out for you in the end!

Okay, that's annoying. Thank you very much though. :smile:
Original post by squiddy135
A level exams happen in March and November.
Exam board does write paper in other time of year. Here's the proof for UK timetable for November 2024: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/cambridge-exams-officers-guide/phase-1-preparation/timetabling-exams/exam-timetables/
See November 2024 in the UK timetable and that includes A levels as well!

By GCSE, you mean IGCSE too? How is November a "resit"? What about March exam series? Why ignore March exam series if you're going to give attention to November exam series? https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/march-series/
Original post by ConfusedExam2024
A level exams happen in March and November.
Exam board does write paper in other time of year. Here's the proof for UK timetable for November 2024: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/cambridge-exams-officers-guide/phase-1-preparation/timetabling-exams/exam-timetables/
See November 2024 in the UK timetable and that includes A levels as well!
By GCSE, you mean IGCSE too? How is November a "resit"? What about March exam series? Why ignore March exam series if you're going to give attention to November exam series? https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/exam-administration/march-series/

Sorry, I’m a little perplexed by your response.
I’m not talking about IGCSEs and I A levels (else I would have specified), but just GCSEs and A levels, so please don’t nitpick with differences that aren’t really relevant in this context. I gave the information I knew about UK exams: June sitting with November resits for some GCSE subjects (normally maths, english language and maybe lit? but in 2020 and 2021 for all GCSE and A level subjects). For these exams, there is absolutely no March exam series, I haven’t ignored it. The CIE exam board you have cited is specifically international A levels, which don’t seem to be the focus of OP’s question, rather than a UK exam board, none of which (as far as I’m aware) offer a full November exam series nor any March series at all.

For UK GCSEs (and A levels in 2020 and 2021), November exams are very much framed as resits, and resources such as the examiners’ reports make that clear, frequently referring whether candidates who did one thing or another managed to improve their mark.

Quick Reply

Latest