The Student Room Group

GCSEs with a Medical Condition

Hi! Just signed up for TSR as I am currently doing my GCSEs and looking to enter an Apprenticeship in September of this year.

I am currently living with what is (suspected) Long Covid. I have been ill for around 3 and a half years now with symptoms very close to Chronic Pain and Fatigue, and I have been tested for multiple other diseases such as mild cerebral palsy, though the tests have come back negative. I go through a struggle most days to even get out of bed, though it has been stressful as I have been told that if I don't improve my attendance and get into school then I may not be accepted to an apprenticeship.

My problem is that I have got one of the lowest attendance rates in my year as there have been many days where I have been unable to even get out of bed at all due to my legs being barely able to move due to weakness or extreme pain. I have been wondering for a while what the effects on my GCSEs would be, I am currently in my second week of GCSEs now and I am unsure whether there is some sort of 'compensation' or alternative for me to take. This is because I am extremely struggling with a lot of the content that everyone else has done, yet as some of you may know if you are doing your GCSEs right now, a poem from my anthology for OCR English Literature this year was 'Punishment', I however was absent for all but one of the lessons where we went through the text, as well as many other texts such as Jekyll and Hyde & Animal Farm especially.

I am generally unsure as to what my next steps should be throughout this period, whether there is an appeal process or if anyone can recommend any revision methods, anything would be tremendously helpful.

My apologies for the length of this post, I have not been on a forum for years, though after reading up on a few posts on here, I'm happy to be here!
Original post by frumion
Hi! Just signed up for TSR as I am currently doing my GCSEs and looking to enter an Apprenticeship in September of this year.

I am currently living with what is (suspected) Long Covid. I have been ill for around 3 and a half years now with symptoms very close to Chronic Pain and Fatigue, and I have been tested for multiple other diseases such as mild cerebral palsy, though the tests have come back negative. I go through a struggle most days to even get out of bed, though it has been stressful as I have been told that if I don't improve my attendance and get into school then I may not be accepted to an apprenticeship.

My problem is that I have got one of the lowest attendance rates in my year as there have been many days where I have been unable to even get out of bed at all due to my legs being barely able to move due to weakness or extreme pain. I have been wondering for a while what the effects on my GCSEs would be, I am currently in my second week of GCSEs now and I am unsure whether there is some sort of 'compensation' or alternative for me to take. This is because I am extremely struggling with a lot of the content that everyone else has done, yet as some of you may know if you are doing your GCSEs right now, a poem from my anthology for OCR English Literature this year was 'Punishment', I however was absent for all but one of the lessons where we went through the text, as well as many other texts such as Jekyll and Hyde & Animal Farm especially.

I am generally unsure as to what my next steps should be throughout this period, whether there is an appeal process or if anyone can recommend any revision methods, anything would be tremendously helpful.

My apologies for the length of this post, I have not been on a forum for years, though after reading up on a few posts on here, I'm happy to be here!

Hi! I'm sorry for your circumstances, god bless you.
Definitely, let the school know about your situation and I'm sure they can make some allowance for you, don't worry too much about your performance in gcses or anything, because you're trying your best.
Talk to your parents/relatives/others you know and see if they can help in any way.
I'm sorry if it's not much help, but I'm sure you'll get there in the end!
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest