The Student Room Group

GCSES “extenuating circumstances” for uni

For universities like Oxford where GCSES are important, but lower grades can be accepted because of extenuating circumstances would this be considered extenuating circumstances? : I missed all of year 8 and year 9 because of problems and when I came back slightly late in year 10 (to a different school) I had to adapt to being back at school and catching up on content and I was always slightly behind.
Original post by spidermanlolhaha
For universities like Oxford where GCSES are important, but lower grades can be accepted because of extenuating circumstances would this be considered extenuating circumstances? : I missed all of year 8 and year 9 because of problems and when I came back slightly late in year 10 (to a different school) I had to adapt to being back at school and catching up on content and I was always slightly behind.
Hi there,

Extenuating circumstances is normally something that's out of your control and pretty unfortunate. For example, the death of a parent, a serious, acute or chronic medical condition, personal problems (such as mental health issues and migraines which cause studying to be hard).

Good luck with your application!

Ethan
(edited 1 month ago)
Don't waste space in your PS about it - reviewers won't be looking for it there and it may get missed.

Get your referee to detail it and use any external process the uni has - eg. webform or email submission.
Original post by Admit-One
Don't waste space in your PS about it - reviewers won't be looking for it there and it may get missed.
Get your referee to detail it and use any external process the uni has - eg. webform or email submission.
That's helpful to know on my end too, thanks for that. I've edited my post as not to mislead.
There is a section in the UCAS application where the centre providing you a reference can detail any circumstances that have had impact on your studies, and for more detailed information many universities have an extenuating circumstances form, so while I would as well not recommend putting this into your PS, it would be beneficial if your school enters it into either of those, where if they do the grades will be looked upon within context. Even if not, Oxford doesn't have a strict GCSE requirement as far as I am aware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending