The Student Room Group

Medicine Apprenticeship -Admission Criteria - International student

I hold a 2:2 science degree , that was misachieved due to some extenuating circumstances that I can prove and will mention in my personal statement and reference letter .
Can I apply for an accelerated apprenticeship ?
If not , can I apply to the 5 year apprenticeship ?
My high school certificate is insufficient for competitive application.Will I also need to study an Access to Medicine Diploma ?Will I also need to prove a GCSE Maths test or the further education diploma's admission Maths test is enough ? Is there alternatives to this test?
Will all the further education colleges cover the same curriculum or will they stay independent as they are ?
Will my previous 2:2 degree allow me to study the apprenticeship , as I will be studying Medicine-not any other subject- that is a sole subject to be studied as a 2nd degree , whether through the fast track or the standard course ? If not , won't this apprenticeship method allow me to join with a 2:2 degree ? I was e-mailed by one of the universities that I contacted saying that a 2:2 previous degree can be a neglected class honours , as long as I haven't studied a recognized level 3 qualification yet.Also , my degree is international but validated by a British university , can this neglect my previous 2:2 class honours if it is a barrier?
By the start of the apprenticeship method , will there be various fees to the Access to Medicine Diploma ?How much if common ? Is there a way of funding to both Home and overseas students?
Hi,

We don't have a lot of information about the Medicine Degree Apprenticeship yet - it hasn't even started running yet! Do you definitely mean the degree apprenticeship or do you perhaps mean the standard medical degree? There is no accelerated medicine apprenticeship as far as I'm aware.

I believe the access to medicine diploma is for students who have studied A-levels irrelevant to their later decision to pursue medicine, so unfortunately you would not be eligible for that.

I'm not sure whether any universities would be willing to consider extenuating circumstances in regards to your degree classification, although I suspect not. Universities have a massive pool of students who do meet all entry requirements to choose from, so unfortunately they have no reason to consider those who do not.

As an international student, you would need to meet higher entrance test requirements and interview scores to secure a place. Can I ask, why the UK and not your home country? Would you meet entry requirements there?

Sorry not to have been more help, do let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer. You could also try posting to the medicine forum under the 'Which Medical School Should I Apply to' megathread, linked here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CriticalMuppet
Hi,

We don't have a lot of information about the Medicine Degree Apprenticeship yet - it hasn't even started running yet! Do you definitely mean the degree apprenticeship or do you perhaps mean the standard medical degree? There is no accelerated medicine apprenticeship as far as I'm aware.

I believe the access to medicine diploma is for students who have studied A-levels irrelevant to their later decision to pursue medicine, so unfortunately you would not be eligible for that.

I'm not sure whether any universities would be willing to consider extenuating circumstances in regards to your degree classification, although I suspect not. Universities have a massive pool of students who do meet all entry requirements to choose from, so unfortunately they have no reason to consider those who do not.

As an international student, you would need to meet higher entrance test requirements and interview scores to secure a place. Can I ask, why the UK and not your home country? Would you meet entry requirements there?

Sorry not to have been more help, do let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer. You could also try posting to the medicine forum under the 'Which Medical School Should I Apply to' megathread, linked here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527. Good luck :smile:

Hi CriticalMuppet !
Thank you for your reply !
I mean the medicine degree apprenticeship.
I read in an NHS review that graduate students will finish the apprenticeship in less than 5 yrs , but I was checking the eligibility criteria and I don't know the overseas' students situation.
Years ago , when I was collecting information for medical schools' admission (standard medical courses) ; I was told that I can be eligible either by studying relevant A-Levels or an Access to Medicine Diploma . I am sure of that because this was either e-mailed to me by prestigious UK universities or was mentioned in their websites.
I was told by one of the strong UK universities that I can be accepted , with that degree classification , as long as my level 3 qualification-which is insufficient for competitive application-will be a UK recognized one when I study that level 3 degree . I just wanted to be sure of that.
The UK is the 1st destination for all students worldwide for education .There are a lot of both prestigious and ancient universities.It is famous for the highest medical education quality in the world.My homeland is not well-known for good medical education ; I can be accepted in private universities only.I also don't know my status concerning the scores on an academic year after my graduation , because I am a graduate and a mature student.We don't have fast tracks here and mature students don't have a declared official condition . Anyway, I guess I can be accepted here.
Best regards ,
Saif
Reply 3
Try looking at the government funding for apprenticeships document, it shows all the criteria that needs to be met and what isn't allowed.
Original post by Raed.S
Try looking at the government funding for apprenticeships document, it shows all the criteria that needs to be met and what isn't allowed.

I'm guessing that because apprenticeships are free, they will only be open to UK students. I think you could apply for graduate entry medicine though. Some schools do take 2:2 degrees
Reply 5
Original post by Raed.S

I will Raed.S . Thank you for your information !
Reply 6
Original post by jobojobojoboxxx
I'm guessing that because apprenticeships are free, they will only be open to UK students. I think you could apply for graduate entry medicine though. Some schools do take 2:2 degrees

Are u sure they r free without fees ?
Graduate entry Medicine is open with a 2:2 degree in very very few medical schools.
The point is I dun know whether my degree is international or local to be admitted , because though it is international , it is validated by a British uni.
Also , anyway I must study a relevant level 3 degree like Access to Med Diploma , which is only accepted by some of these few schools , even if my 2:2 degree is accepted.
Besides , I was e-mailed a msg by one of the leading unis. in the UK saying that my 2:2 degree will be accepted , as long as I will still study a recognized lower level 3 degree (Access to Medicine diploma) because my level 3 high school certificate is insufficient for competitive application.I want to confirm that with someone.
I wish to apply to 5 & 6 year med schools rather than the fast track ones (which are very very few in my case) , if not the apprenticeship.
Will the normal medical schools run side to side with the apprenticeship ?
Thanks anyway for your reply !
Reply 7
Original post by jobojobojoboxxx

Graduate entry Medicine is open with a 2:2 degree in very very few medical schools.
The point is I dun know whether my degree is international or local to be admitted , because though it is international , it is validated by a British uni.
Also , anyway I must study a relevant level 3 degree like Access to Med Diploma , which is only accepted by some of these few schools , even if my 2:2 degree is accepted.
Besides , I was e-mailed a msg by one of the leading unis. in the UK saying that my 2:2 degree will be accepted , as long as I will still study a recognized lower level 3 degree (Access to Medicine diploma) because my level 3 high school certificate is insufficient for competitive application.I want to confirm that with someone.
I wish to apply to 5 & 6 year med schools rather than the fast track ones (which are very very few in my case) , if not the apprenticeship.
Reply 8
Original post by Saif-Al-Deen

The NHS Trust where I work is involved in the design and structure of the apprenticeship. Unlike what many people think, it *will* include studying a full medical academic degree as well. The apprenticeship does *not* mean you don't go to medical school, but will include it too. As far as I'm aware, it's not open to international applicants, and the design is primarily tailored to existing NHS staff with substantial clinical background, although officially anyone can apply.

Also, it will not be "free without fees". It's a UK-government sponsored programme. Being in apprenticeship means the apprentice works, and the fee to Medical School (among other things) are covered by the apprenticeship.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by brasamical
The NHS Trust where I work is involved in the design and structure of the apprenticeship. Unlike what many people think, it *will* include studying a full medical academic degree as well. The apprenticeship does *not* mean you don't go to medical school, but will include it too. As far as I'm aware, it's not open to international applicants, and the design is primarily tailored to existing NHS staff with substantial clinical background, although officially anyone can apply.

Also, it will not be "free without fees". It's a UK-government sponsored programme. Being in apprenticeship means the apprentice works, and the fee to Medical School (among other things) are covered by the apprenticeship.

It’s not exclusive to the NHS and is subject to the same funding rules as all apprenticeships I.e., in context of the OP’s question:

the applicant must:
E55.5 Have the right to work in England
E55.6 Have an eligible residency status
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Chris2892
It’s not exclusive to the NHS and is subject to the same funding rules as all apprenticeships I.e., in context of the OP’s question:

the applicant must:

The conditions "have the right to work" and "have eligible status" will allow existing non-British staff working in the NHS to be apply for the apprenticeship. There are many non-UK staff , south Asians, Philipinos, Egyptians, etc. who have been working in the NHS for years, and it would immensely benefit the NHS to see them upskilled as doctor.

In theory, yes, the OP could apply. In practice, between a non-British applicant with years of experience in the NHS who satisfies the two conditions above, and someone who just finished university from overseas, it's realistic to think the existing NHS member of staff will be in a better position to be considered.

But you're right that it won't be exclusive to the NHS. There will be a GEM-like and Regular route.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11

Thx for your reply !
Reply 12
Original post by Chris2892

the applicant must:

The conditions "have the right to work" and "have eligible status" will allow existing non-British staff working in the NHS to be apply for the apprenticeship. There are many non-UK staff , south Asians, Philipinos, Egyptians, etc. who have been working in the NHS for years, and it would immensely benefit the NHS to see them upskilled as doctor.

In theory, yes, the OP could apply. In practice, between a non-British applicant with years of experience in the NHS who satisfies the two conditions above, and someone who just finished university from overseas, it's realistic to think the existing NHS member of staff will be in a better position to be considered.

But you're right that it won't be exclusive to the NHS. There will be a GEM-like and Regular route.

Thx 4 ur illustration !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending